Windows Vista

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Re: Windows Vists

There isn't an official release date set, although this is an interesting read:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/index.php?p=13

What is it about the date August 24 and Microsoft Windows?

August 24, 1995 - Microsoft officially releases Windows 95 with the biggest launch party in the history of the computer industry.

August 24, 2001 - Microsoft releases Windows XP to manufacturing.

August 24, 2006 - Microsoft releases Windows Vista to manufacturing?
If that is correct then we are looking at an approximate launch date of late August 2006.

:)

leopard22

Registered Member
Hmmm ... I bet it will be August 24th yet again then. Probably Bill G. got the date from a session with a Oiuja board (spelling??) when he was younger and he's now convinced unless he releases a new OS on August 24th, it will crash and burn. Should we tell him it's too late :lol:

leopard22

Registered Member
Thermal said:
Last I've heard, the Business version will be released Nov. 2006, and home versions will be released Jan. 2007.
I know I'm being cynical (again!) but do you think Microsoft changed the code name Longhorn to Vista just to make people think it was a further upgrade and not just a renaming of the project? Or do you think they just waited around until marketing people came up with a good name?

I'm not going to hold my breathe until the release date. I expect it will be put back again. I don't know if we'll ever see Vista. It'll probably be named something else and Microsoft will just say "nevermind".

Thermal

Registered Member
Longhorn was just a code name, a way for people to communicate about an unnamed product in development until an official name is decided on, and Vista is the official name. I really don't see them changing it again, and I don't think Microsoft could handle another delay. The last I heard, there was a change in management due to the large amount of internal outcry after the last delay (2006 to 2007).

leopard22

Registered Member
Thermal said:
Longhorn was just a code name, a way for people to communicate about an unnamed product in development until an official name is decided on, and Vista is the official name. I really don't see them changing it again, and I don't think Microsoft could handle another delay. The last I heard, there was a change in management due to the large amount of internal outcry after the last delay (2006 to 2007).
Ouch - glad I don't work for Microsoft, well, for a lot of reasons I guess, but especially if there was a lot of internal unrest going on. I hope it's significantly improved given how long they've been working on it. I resisted going to XP initially but in the end I'm glad I did - the positives do outweigh the negatives, IMHO. Hopefully Microsoft has finally learned over the past decade or so to not rush to market with a buggy product.