Windows Vista: Combats Piracy

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JohnR, Oct 19, 2006.

1. JohnR

JohnR Registered Member

Have you heard about it yet? Windows Vista is only allowed to be installed TWICE before having to buy it again for the full price. TWICE! I really think Microsoft has gone too far in the combatting piracy thing. Now, I know for a fact that most people install and re-install their OS several times. Usually well over two times. This is outraging many, therefore I believe this OS wont sell big...

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

How will they track how many times it has been installed? I'm certainly not going to pay $400 just to have my hard drive crash twice and then have to buy Vista over again..

There has to be more to this story... When I first saw this thread I thought you were going to talk about how most monitors won't work to play High Def video from Vista. That's another thing they are doing to combat direct feed recordings. You have to get a new monitor that is compatible with Vista's anti piracy codecs. Otherwise HD DVD's will be nothing but static.

Of course this isn't just Vista. XP will use the same "protection" since HD DVD playback hasn't been released yet. So your $2,000 widescreen LCD from last year won't even work to play HD DVD's.

3. JohnR

JohnR Registered Member

Yeah. Wow. I didn't hear about that! So basically, Its time to find a new OS. Apple, here I come.

4. Thermal

Thermal Registered Member

Do you have link? The only think I've heard was that Vista was only going to allow you one transfer of license to another device. I'm sure you'll be able to call and have it reset, which isn't any different than XP. Anyways, I wouldn't start the boycotting until its confirmed in the final release. Its not the first time people jumped to conclusions over rumors involving the latest windows beta.

5. JohnR

JohnR Registered Member

I will have to find the news source. I'm pretty confident that this will happen. Knowing Microsoft, it will.

6. Thermal

Yeah, I'll reserve my thoughts on the issue until I see a link. Microsoft wouldn't be able to guaranteed that your system wouldn't be damage due to infection or other probably faults that would force a reinstallation. I don't see any legit purpose to enforce such restrictions beyond money. They would essentially be giving up their OS market to their competition, and opening themselves up to being sued. So I doubt they would go that far. I think its just another ridiculous rumor that was taken to extremes.

I remember when XP was still in beta, and because Windows Media Player was only able to encode mp3's to 56k. Turns out it was actually a proof of concept feature thrown into WMP to show off it's encoding capabilities. Anyways, we're still pretty long ways off from the final version, and I wouldn't bet any money on that rumor.

Vista Licenses Limits OS Transfers

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  7. JohnR

JohnR Registered Member

So, looks like you have found the news source and it says it can only be moved once. You've made a good point here. It will more than likely destroy their ownselves by this one. How long do you think this will last?

8. Thermal

The news source says you can only transfer the licenses to one computer. You can reinstall it on the same computer as many times as you want. Which really isn't that big of a deal, since this really only affects home users.

The majority of home users rarely transfer their licenses to another computer, and normally just go out and buy a new computer with the OS already installed. Now for those that build their computers, their may be a problem. What constitutes the need of a transfer? Does Vista consider motherboard changes in an existing computer a new computer?

Businesses, on the other hand, tend to add new computers instead of replace them, and buy volume licenses.

Now, if what you said was true, and you could only reinstall your OS on the same system twice, then Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  9. JohnR

JohnR Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification, Thermal. Those are good questions you've asked. I am still awaiting an answer from Microsoft. We will soon know coming January 2007.