Windows Setup Won't Read Hard Drive

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I just bought a Dell Power Edge 2650 Server computer for personal use. (for just $40 on ebay)

It came with the following.

1 500W hot plug power supply
1 CD Drive (which I think I'm gonna switch out for a DVD drive)
1 Floppy Drive
2 Intel Xeon 2.4 processors
2 GB ECC DDR RAM (in 512mb sticks, 6 DIMMs, expandable to 12gb)
1 Built in 8mb video card (I'm gonna add a PCI video card later once I get it working)
3 PCI-X slots (not PCI-Express, backwards compatible with PCI 2.2 and later)
1 RAID DIMM (I'm yet to put anything in there)

It did not come with a hard drive so I had to buy one, it doesn't support any kind but SCSI, which happens to be very fast.

I'm trying to install Windows XP Professional (32-bit) on it but can't seem to get the setup to read the hard drive (most likely because it's SCSI, not IDE or SATA)

I know that I need to get a third party driver of some kind to make the setup read the hard disk but I can't find one anywhere.

I don't have the Manufacturers support Disk (wish I did) and know hardly anything about booting drivers to get hardware working.

Here is the make of the Hard Drive...
seagate cheetah st173404lcv
It's a 73.4GB Seagate 6.1ms 10KRPM 16mb 80 Pin
got it for $25.

Does anybody know how I can get the windows XP setup to read the disk drive?

I've already gone to this site.
Drivers & Downloads

here I put all of the non-RAID SCSI files on a floppy and tried to boot from there, in windows setup it recognizes the file that I'm trying to boot from, but then when I continue it won't read the hard drive.

I have never worked with SCSI hard drives before so I don't know much about them at all.

Anybody have any ideas on how I could get windows XP Pro setup to read the hard disk?

EuroFight

Registered Member
I would suggest checking the cable connecting the motherboard is securely in place, as I know it sounds stupid, but it is more common than it seems. Also, you could make sure there is an appropriate "autorun" file on the floppy.

Hope this helps!

EuroFight

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Yeah I actually got it fixed, as it turns out the end of the drive was warped ever so slightly (it uses drawer style SCSI, so what I did was just get a new drive (2 new drives actually at 40gb a piece) The thing works just fine now. It has XP Pro and sits running under the bed.

I did however find out that this thing isn't gonna support any kind of expansion video card, I put in a PCI 1gb card and it wouldn't boot because it said "expansion video cards not supported".

So I just use it as a home server.