Windows Server question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nevyrmoore, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I'll make this quick, I'm not exactly meant to be on this site right now.

I'm learning certain software and OSs at home as it looks to be my only way to gain experience right now that'll increase my chances of being employed as an IT techie. Windows Server falls under this.

Are there any cheap-ass legal ways of getting an Windows Server OS used in business (read: Windows Home Server N/A)? Should I go with 2003 or 2008?

2. Xilmwa

Xilmwa Registered Member

Cheap-ass ways yes, legal no.

You could wait until the next beta version.

3. Maarten

Maarten New Member

You can download Windows 2008 Server as a 60 day trial for free.

(Put Windows 2008 Trial in Google, apparently I am not allowed to post links yet)

You can extend the trial a total of 4 times, every 60 days you can give a "re-arm" command that allows you to use the server for up to 240 days. This should give you plenty of time to learn all about Windows 2008 server.

Also, if you want to learn stuff, you may want to invest in a technet subscription. They cost $349 a year for the download-only subscription (I believe there still is a special for $249 for the first year), but it will give you access to ALL Microsoft software in .iso disc images that you can then burn yourself. The nice thing is that if you cancel after a year, all the keys will still work, you just aren't getting access to anything newer.

Technet is for testing/learning only, you are not technically allowed to run it in a production environment, but if you just run it at home no one is going to care. It's a great tool to test a lot of software for a relatively low price.You can even setup multiple virtual machines and setup a active directory with 1 or 2 member servers etc.