• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Windows Server 2008 R2

ryanit

Hello,
I currently hace seup up a small network for testing, the server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 connected through a basic Dynex fast switch (5-Port). I have installed the following roles: Active Directory, File server and print server. I have installed a Domain controller and set the two other workstations to the domain. Curerntly they have been assigned a user name and can log in without any issues. Now I need to figure out how to run my practice management software that is currently running on the server on a separate disk. I need the workstations to be able to access the server database, right now they can't. Also I want one of the computers to only have the desktop and not the taskbar, is there any way to configure it so that the desktop and the one program that i want them to run to be visible ? And how do i allow access to the workstations for them to read and write to that drive and sofware on the server?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Chances are nobody here knows what to tell you here... maybe Bananas or Steve but other than that I can't think of anybody off the top of my head who could make sense of what you just posted. I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 as well but I never had to reconfigure remote database access like you are describing. Sorry.

Arathald

Registered Member
hi there!
I currently hace seup up a small network for testing, the server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 connected through a basic Dynex fast switch (5-Port). I have installed the following roles: Active Directory, File server and print server. I have installed a Domain controller and set the two other workstations to the domain. Curerntly they have been assigned a user name and can log in without any issues. Now I need to figure out how to run my practice management software that is currently running on the server on a separate disk. I need the workstations to be able to access the server database, right now they can't.
Is this a Microsoft SQL Server Database or something else?
Also I want one of the computers to only have the desktop and not the taskbar, is there any way to configure it so that the desktop and the one program that i want them to run to be visible ?
Ideally, the program would have a full-screen mode, but if all else fails, you can hide the taskbar/start menu. Is this for a kiosk-like application?
And how do i allow access to the workstations for them to read and write to that drive and sofware on the server?
You need to allow access for those domain users to the drives/directories you are talking about -- you should do this through the file server role since you have it installed. As far as running the software from the server, you can run into a lot of problems if the program doesn't behave in a way that allows remote usage, or if both instances might be trying to write to the same configuration files/log files/whatever, so there's no guarentee that this will work.

Last edited: