• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Windows going the Google route

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://www.live.com/

:rolleyes:

I don't think I need to explain myself here.. but this is an obvious attempt at copying Google's simple feel...

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Or maybe Google started a new trend for Web 2.0?

Remmber, people wanted to be flashy to show off their "mad skills". Maybe now they're finally getting down to what the users need, not just a bunch of random junk.

Spinlock

Registered Member
Well, and why not? It works... Same thing with the mouse, the GUI, telnet... Why do you think there are very few text-mode-only Linux distros left?

Albey

Registered Member
Easy to use, and yet still stable with its kernal :) Thats rather easy to edit.

Hoosierhunter

I think this is an example of knowing a technique that works. Imitation of classic design and functionality is a stepping stone to improvement sometimes, but there is a time when imitation crosses the line.

Thermal

Registered Member
Everyone copies from everyone, its the only way technology is going to mature. While there probably was some inspiration by the google interface, Google has also benefited from Microsoft technologies as well.

JohnR

Registered Member
Yes, Microsofts savage attempt to be something they aren't. A good company. Google has them beat. I believe if anytime google wanted to do an OS for themselves, they'd out do Microsoft every time. Google's SEO is just a brainiac.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
If Microsoft is smart they will ship Vista with Windows Live as the default homepage in IE7, which will come with Vista. All of the non tech home users will keep the homepage and learn to love it after a while.

JohnR

Registered Member
I don't think so. I believe most of them will see this weak attempt to amount to Google and just type in the real deal... Google.

jayadev

Registered Member
Going by the recent moves of Google, it seems they are now setting the trends and have a good chance to outshine Microsoft in future unless Microsoft comes out with something innovative.