• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Windows 7 updates

masey

Registered Member
I am getting a bit sick of this. Nearly everytime I turn on my computer or switch it off, it says it's installing or configuring updates. After these updates, nothing changes. It all looks the same. What do these updates do?

Thanks in advance.

dDave

V.I.P.
Probably over 90% of windows updates are for security purposes. Hackers are constantly coming up with new techniques to get into your computer to steal who knows what maybe your credit card info or any other file they may want.

Because of this Microsoft consistently updates Windows to defend itself against those kinds of attacks. Without updates your computer would be extremely prone to viruses.

It's completely normal to not notice any type of change in your computers performance at all as most updates are for preventative purposes. Microsoft did just release a new service pack for Windows 7 but a hardware malfunction is preventing me from installing it, so I need to look into that and fix it, I'm sure that will alter how Windows works just a bit.

Keep in mind that a lot of changes may not be something that you notice. I remember on XP when a new service pack released (particularly SP2) that the control panel and properties menus changed quite a bit as well as significant improvements of resource usage.

Switching to mac won't help because no computer is virus proof and all OS's need updates.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Nearly everytime I turn on my computer or switch it off, it says it's installing or configuring updates.
Everything Dave said about the updates is true, you do need them. I don't think yours are getting installed at all. You have to do a "soft" shut down in order for Windows to properly install the updates. Just using the on/off will keep the updates from properly installing and you'll get the message every time you turn your computer off.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I never turn on Windows updates. They always block my computer and I'm advised to keep them off.

dDave

V.I.P.
Everything Dave said about the updates is true, you do need them. I don't think yours are getting installed at all. You have to do a "soft" shut down in order for Windows to properly install the updates. Just using the on/off will keep the updates from properly installing and you'll get the message every time you turn your computer off.

Yeah I forgot to mention that I guess. If it's a laptop then closing it doesn't count as turning it off nor does hitting the power button.

You have to select "shutdown" off of the start menu.

It's always possible though that even if you were shutting down correctly and you're still getting that message all the time that they simply aren't installing. I've had problems like that a few times, they're not super common and they usually fix themselves.
------
I never turn on Windows updates. They always block my computer and I'm advised to keep them off.
You need to find a way to turn them on, I hope you aren't making any purchases using your credit card number online on that computer.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Why would I use my credit card number?
I never install Windows updates.

dDave

V.I.P.
Why would I use my credit card number?
I never install Windows updates.
Say you buy something on Bestbuy.com or something, you're required to use your credit card information, hackers can get a hold of this.

Or if you buy something online with paypal or something, it's possible for someone to get into your paypal account by getting into your computer.

Don't tell me stuff like that hasn't happened, I can think of at least 10 cases with people I know.

You should install Windows updates, the security risks are pretty severe if you don't if they weren't important Microsoft wouldn't make them. It'd likely make your computer faster to have all of the updates as well (because malware would be blocked and some updates improve system performance). I'll bet you probably don't care though.

That's why updates are important.

srlake314

Ok,
Well for one thing, like the other post said, everytime we shut down the laptop it has the same update, not the usual, it's the same, it's like it never installs. We leave it on overnight, but it never installs.

My laptop doesnt have the issue, it installed those updates that were listed and no issues, however the other laptop, yes with the lid still open, so no it's not going into hibernate, fails the update.

Is there anyway of installing them manually? I have made sure that win update services was indeed running, so that's not it. Just weird it's always the same 2, regardless if I put them as hidden, the computer ALWAYS says "do not turn your computer off, 1 of 2 updates installing" or something to that effect.

Any clues. I can get the file names if you need that, but that pc has been turned off for now for fear of throwing it out the window.

Did I mention we have the exact same laptops?