• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Windows 7 - Speech recognition

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Control Panel - Speech Recognition is the latest awesome application I discovered on Windows 7. I thought it was just a sound recorder but later I found out that it's used to give commands to your computer through YOUR VOICE instead of using the keyboard/mouse.

I wrote this text by saying every single letter out loud.

p.s. You need to have a microphone.

konboye

Registered Member
It really works? The one I had on my vista was somewhat inaccurate or faulty, it used to produce the wrong words. I don't know if it recognizes a particular accent only.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Every letter? Wouldn't you just have to say each word?
You have to say every letter and punctuation marks. You have to say "new line" when you want to write in the next row, or "new paragraph" when you want to start a new paragraph.
You have to say "Capital A/b/c ... " when you want to write in capitals.
If you don't know how to give the command, just say "What can I say" and it'll will open a new window for you with the commands you are looking for.
When you want to click on an icon you say "Click on Pictures/Document/Number ..."
You say "scroll down, scroll up".

You don't have to spell every single letter, but you have to say it clearly and loud.

Where in Windows 7 is this feature? I didn't realize it came with that by default.
It's in control panel. Just make sure to see the option in this software and take the tutorial, firstly.
------
It really works? The one I had on my vista used to produce the wrong words. I don't know if it recognizes a particular accent only.
I guess it recognizes every accent. I tried a few ones and it was ok for my computer to recognize it .lol.

Last edited:

Daemonic

Registered Member
Sounds cool, but I can type faster than I can speak each letter....

So kinda pointless for me.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
This program is useful for those who want to practice some speaking English.

Arathald

Registered Member
To clarify, you don't need to actually say every single letter you need to type. The system actually works better if you speak in longer phrases. It also gets better at recognizing your voice as you speak to it or if you do training (through the speech recognition interface). This means that, especially as you use it more, it can become much faster than typing manually.

This feature became built into windows as of the vista release. Previously it was included as part of office and wasn't fully integrated into the operating system.

Note: I dictated this entire post using Microsoft speech recognition, and had a very high accuracy even though I've only been using it for a few minutes.

toocool

Registered Member
It really works? The one I had on my vista was somewhat inaccurate or faulty, it used to produce the wrong words. I don't know if it recognizes a particular accent only.
speech recognition does not actually recognise your speech. remember having to train it before you could use it? that was actually recording your voice as sound waves, for future reference. when you speak it compares the soundwaves of your voice commands you give with ones from your training session. it does not recognise accents. only sound waves, which have no accent regardless of your accent (i.e. sound waves have no accent, whereas you might have and italian accent, and another user has english). the waves differ slightly, which is why you need one account per speech recognition user. i use speech recognition sometimes too.