Windows 2009 Antivirus update is bogus!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nightsurfer, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Hi all

Does anybody know anything about a virus in the Windows updates. My wife's computer started acting crazy after this auto update came on her computer and we can't get it off her computer.

If you try to remove it the whole fracking system freezes and then goes nuts.
    i have never seen anything like this. This is the first time an auto update has ever caused us any trouble.

All I know is that when this auto update happened all hell broke lose.

If anyone knows anything about this can you please help me out so I can get her computer working again.

Thanks

~Surfer~

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008

2. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

dunno, i got a windows update friday and my scanner pooped out on me but we checked it and it just seems to be that the scanners time has come. waiting on my new scanner.

hope u get her comp fixed bro

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

You can't get a virus from Windows Update. There's no way a hacker could modify the source executable necessary to insert a virus and have it downloaded from the Micorsoft Update server and have it get past not only their anti-virus and yours (assuming you've scanned. If not, shame on you).

Boot to safe mode, go to add/remove programs, click "show hotfixes" and find the ones that were installed most recently.

Or try system restore if you have it turned on. Windows likes to turn it off but will make a restore point every time you go through the Micorsoft Update process. Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

4. Nightsurfer

Every since she got the update we can't restore, her computer was fine until the auto up date.

You can't even get it to go into safe mode, the do you wish to install pops up and won't go away and freezes the entire system. Like i said i have never seen anything like this.

We scan our computers regularly, so i don't understand what is going on with it.
    It doesn't make any sense, we have tried to remove the program and it won't let us get rid of it. When you try the whole computer freezes.

I think i will have to take it in to see what is up with this.

5. Sam

Sam Registered Member

Take it in to get fixed.
    It may cost quite a lot but you know, what can you do.
    Is there any sites she has been on while it was updating or before it updated..
    This could have caused it..
    It may have seemed as if the update caused it.

6. Nightsurfer

No she was just logging on when the auto update started and then all hell broke loose. I am just gong to take her computer to the Geek squad, it might be best if I let the pros tinker with it.

My knowledge is limited to graphics and video editing tricks.

Thanks for your help all.

7. Sam

Sam Registered Member

To be honest, the auto updater feature is stupid. If you don't want that update you have to deal with it, because on my Windows XP Professional computer it wont let you close the update box so your stuck with it once it starts..
    Yes, take it to the geeks and let them fiddle with it.
    I'm hopeless with graphics and editing things on computers also.

8. Nightsurfer

DO NOT ALLOW WINDOWS 2009 ANTI VIRUS TO UP DATE ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!

IT IS A HARD DRIVE KILLER!!!!!!!!!!

We just got the confirmation that the windows 2009 anti virus update is a Trojan/Virus.

It hides in the auto update system and your anti virus software will not find it. No mater what anti virus software you use!!!!

THIS IS NO JOKE!!!!!

There is also one for Vista too any update that says 2009 antivirus up date is bogus, Dont install

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Night, update this with the new info you shared in chat about true virus.

ETA: we posted at the same time :lol:

10. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

And this is why I don't let any updates go through on my computer. I actually turn it off on every computer I set up too because if you keep a virus and a firewall up to date there is no need for it. The bad thing is that's not the only one and I can't remember the name of the other one.