• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Microsoft Windows 10

dDave

V.I.P.
Microsoft has announced Windows 10.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10 - IGN

Now, the obvious first question is why the number 10 was used. (don't worry, I'm asking myself that question). What about 9? There may be some hidden thing going on there.

It's about time Microsoft announce this though. Windows 8 didn't fail quite like Vista did but it did fail compared to 7. I never liked the way that 8 functioned so I'm glad I held onto 7 for both of my PCs. Microsoft has a tendency to release new ideas wrong and then fix them in the next version, their history has shown this in a constant cycle.

If 10 turns out to be as good as it looks then I'll be upgrading when it releases. The new features look good. Corner window snapping? Having set desktops for various uses? Yes, please. I'll also gladly welcome the taskbar on each screen (I realize this is an 8 feature but I never got it)

Thoughts?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
They went from 3.1 to 95 which is a jump of like 91.9. A jump of 2 from 8 to 10 is hardly noticeable. I wonder if they forgot to count windows ME and are now rectifying it.

dDave

V.I.P.
They went from 3.1 to 95 which is a jump of like 91.9. A jump of 2 from 8 to 10 is hardly noticeable. I wonder if they forgot to count windows ME and are now rectifying it.
See, but that's just the thing. If they're going to fix their numbers then why have they done it like this?

Windows 3.1 is obviously Windows 3 and not Windows 1. The earlier versions had a lot of subsidiary versions such as 3.1, 2.11, etc. I think those can all be under the umbrella of the base versions of 1, 2, and 3.

Here's how I see it.

Windows 1.01 (1.03, 1.04) - Windows 1
Windows 2.0 (2.10, 2.11) - Windows 2
Windows 3.0 (3.1, NT 3.1, 3.11, 3.2, NT 3.5, NT 3.51) - Windows 3
Windows 95 (a/b) - Windows 4
Windows NT/98 (FE/SE) - Windows 5
Windows 2000/ME - Windows 6
Windows XP - Windows 7
Windows Vista - Windows 8
Windows 7 - Windows 9
Windows 8 - Windows 10
Windows 10 - Windows 11

Just the most logical way to group it to me.

So, actually, we shouldn't be upset that they're not on 9 because they really ought to be on Windows 11 right now :lol:

I wish that they would just name their operating systems. Works well enough for Apple and it's also a lot less confusing for people.

danwiz

Registered Member
How are weird names a lot less confusing than numbers? With Apple how the heck am I supposed to know which is newer, something called OS X or something called Lynx or Tiger or Wolverine? This thinking makes no sense to me at all. At least with a number I can immediately know if I have the latest version.

Where would we be with the Firefox Web Browser? They are now at 32, if they used names there would be amazing confusion for everybody!

As for Windows, I don't care if they call it 9 or 10. I read one news article that said that they're naming it 10 because it is such a HUGE LEAP up from Windows 8.

dDave

V.I.P.
How are weird names a lot less confusing than numbers? With Apple how the heck am I supposed to know which is newer, something called OS X or something called Lynx or Tiger or Wolverine? This thinking makes no sense to me at all. At least with a number I can immediately know if I have the latest version.

Where would we be with the Firefox Web Browser? They are now at 32, if they used names there would be amazing confusion for everybody!

As for Windows, I don't care if they call it 9 or 10. I read one news article that said that they're naming it 10 because it is such a HUGE LEAP up from Windows 8.
The numbers are confusing because they make no sense, that's it really. Even if Windows 7 and 8 weren't technically Windows 7 and 8 they still should have continued on with that one and called this one Windows 9.

I guess I'm just getting really bored with all the numbers being used in names recently.

Windows 7, 8, 10. iPhone 4, 5, 6, etc. Mario Kart 7, 8, etc. Halo 2, 3, 4, etc, Playstation 2, 3, 4, etc.

The numbers do make for very functional names but where's the excitement? Where's the ownership and creativity? Lots of things are just named with a number now and I find it to be incredibly boring.

Anyway, as far as Windows goes, I have been known to only go with every other generation of operating systems.

Here are the OSes that I've had.

Windows 95a
Windows 98 SE
Windows XP
Windows 7

And that's it... There are a whole lot of gaps.

I got to use Vista on my dad's computer for several years and I absolutely hated it (I convinced him to upgrade to 7 when the computer was so slow it took several minutes to load up a picture on the hard drive), it really was crap and did not use hardware effectively. My elementary/middle school had computers set up with Windows 2000 and ME. Didn't really have any major issues with either of them but I do remember the computers being unbearably slow. I always thought XP was way better. My current school has Windows 8 set up on all of their computers. Other than for basic computing they're really annoying to use. To be clear, it's not the worst thing ever, but you can't help but feel it's just designed poorly. So I've had a chance to use pretty much every generation of Windows at some point in time, some shine while others fail (Vista is the worst failure they ever made though).

danwiz

Registered Member
Guess I'm older than you. I've owned/used:
windows 1.0
Windows 3.1,
Windows 95
Windows ME (sucked)
Windows XP
Windows 7.

I remember that there was something special about Windows 3.1, I bought some upgrade floppy and installed that.

I get pissed off when they don't change the numbers - like the iPhone. A friend and I were trying to figure what model iPhones we have about a week ago and I was convinced that I have an iPhone 4 because I got it 2 years ago and last year they came out with the 5. It only occurred to me several days later that last year was the 5s and 5c, and the year before that was the 5, so I have a 5. I know that you can Google and it will tell you what model you have if you type in your S/N. but that's not truly convenient when just having a 5 minute discussion.

Oh, saw my first iPhone 6 on the train today - the person next to me was using one and I asked him if it was a 6 and he told me it was - not the big one though. Looks nice!

dDave

V.I.P.
Guess I'm older than you. I've owned/used:
windows 1.0
Windows 3.1,
Windows 95
Windows ME (sucked)
Windows XP
Windows 7.

I remember that there was something special about Windows 3.1, I bought some upgrade floppy and installed that.

I get pissed off when they don't change the numbers - like the iPhone. A friend and I were trying to figure what model iPhones we have about a week ago and I was convinced that I have an iPhone 4 because I got it 2 years ago and last year they came out with the 5. It only occurred to me several days later that last year was the 5s and 5c, and the year before that was the 5, so I have a 5. I know that you can Google and it will tell you what model you have if you type in your S/N. but that's not truly convenient when just having a 5 minute discussion.

Oh, saw my first iPhone 6 on the train today - the person next to me was using one and I asked him if it was a 6 and he told me it was - not the big one though. Looks nice!
I don't think I've ever used anything earlier than Windows 95. I may have used DOS at one point, can't remember specifically though. Windows 95 rocked though, I have some fond memories of it. It's not worth anything today though, totally useless.

Anyway, one really impressive thing to me is that Pixar managed to make Toy Story using computers that were probably running windows 3.1 (or the Apple counterpart of that). Basically, the OS was VERY limited in functionality and the hardware was from the days before processors could even do multiplication and division operations. The computers we have today are quite literally 1000 times faster when you consider Moore's law.

danwiz

Registered Member
Oh, I didn't even bother to mention using DOS, at my age of 67 years young I assumed that you'd take it for granted that I started out with that. And, used to program in Basic. The IBM PC was introduced in August, 1981. At the time I was working for the State of Alaska, which was flush with oil money, and we had 2 of them in the office early in 1982. Everything was run from floppy disks and DOS. I loved it! I could then create reports in moments that previously took hours to do!

Those were the days!

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I haven't seen much of Windows 10 as yet mainly because I am not bothered by it. I like Windows 7, I think it is a good, sturdy, reliable OS so see no need to change. The main thing I do like is the fact that they have got rid of the "Metro" interface, good riddance to bad rubbish if you ask me, if you like it great but personally I think it was one of the worst things they have ever done - and I used Windows ME for over six months.

With that being said I am tempted to buy a new HDD and install the Windows 10 beta onto it just to play with it and see what I think. I can pretty much say with no second thought though Windows 10 will not be touching my Mac.

Poonamsoni

Hi,
Technologies can help you to transform and churn your Application idea into a successful with new features business-oriented reality. If you can explore more information about latest web mobile agile technologies and Windows 10.0 or windows 11.0 new features and benefit from OnGraph technologies click to know more info check on this URL https://www.ongraph.com/

Thank you.