• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Windows 10 is FREE

dDave

V.I.P.
No, this isn't spam and yes, you read that right.

Windows 10 will be free to anyone with Windows 7 or Windows 8.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/18/windows-10-upgrade-free-to-pirated-windows-users

Makes me glad I didn't ever get 8, 7 has the same advantage and it's still way better than 8.

I wonder how they're going to make money on this. I know Office is subscription based now (I have Office 2013). That doesn't seem like it'll pull in as much money as the operating system, especially when you consider how many office subscriptions are already out there before this offer.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Interesting. I'm perfectly fine with Windows 8.1, so I won't be in any hurry to upgrade to a brand new operating system.

There has to be some kind of a catch to this though.

dDave

V.I.P.
Interesting. I'm perfectly fine with Windows 8.1, so I won't be in any hurry to upgrade to a brand new operating system.

There has to be some kind of a catch to this though.
The catch is that Microsoft wants to forget that Windows 8 ever existed. By giving Windows 10 away for free, they can drop support for the OS quickly with little repercussion. They may drop 7 as well because of this. Vista was going to be dropped soon anyway. Might actually be cheaper for Microsoft in the end to be working on 1 OS for home computers instead of 4 (they still have to support Windows Server as well)

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm with Major... I don't mind Windows 8. Everyone I know bitches about it though. I'm all good for now.

Stego

Registered Member
The catch is that Microsoft wants to forget that Windows 8 ever existed.
Absolutely.

And apps, that's the catch. Like a good drug dealer, they want to give you the first one for free.

Micro$oft had a lot of trouble convincing large entities like organizations, businesses, and schools to upgrade from XP (which was a freaking rock-solid system). When I was doing field tech repair last year, businesses were still clinging to XP with a deathgrip. My understanding is that Micro$oft is just giving this away for free because they know it's the best way to bring people inside the big tent to purchase more goodies. More diversified audiences and needs means it is harder to get them through the door to see the wares.

They're also taking a page from Linux (and Apple, who also took a page from the Linux and Unix OS). After Windows 10, it's just going to be one OS that keeps receiving rolling updates. They want to ensure the product stays on computers but that you'll be paying for apps and service.

I'm thinking of installing it just for giggles to see how it is. I'm upset as a consumer that we should be thankful or happy that a company "gave back" the user interface we all wanted or were familiar with previously. If you're a gamer, don't touch the upgrade until you're sure allllll of your stuff has the driver ready.

Windows really did have their time, but I think they just stopped listening to the users.

Last edited:

Stego

Registered Member
Update: Windows 10 is going to be free at first for a year, and then it will be over $100 a year subscription. There will be more nagware, bloat, and surprises.

Just like the American political process, they have you cornered between two supposed options: Mac and Windows. That means they can really do as they please to screw you over.

If you don't want to deal with it, I suggest jumping to Linux Mint. It is a seamless desktop experience. Ubuntu is second and a long-supported option. These sorts of surprises are the reason why the open-source community just said we've had enough and maintain a community operating system set.

Stego

Registered Member
I know the pun "bleeding edge" is used in these situations, but it's really so true that it must be said.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
My windows 8.1 has a little icon in the status bar about updating to windows 10. I'm not going to do it. I'm going to keep 8.1 on this computer until the first time I have to format it, then I'm switching to ubuntu again. There's linux equivalents or even actual proper linux ports of most of the programs I use, and every month it seems like progress is made in the things they don't have yet, but are working on.