Willie Mays

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by StroShow, Sep 12, 2007.

1. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

It seems that eveyone names a different player every 2 or 3 days so I assumed that I should keep it going. The player I would like to discuss about is the almighty Willie Mays. In my opinion he's the best rounded player to ever laced on cleets. He could hit, run, field and had a cannon of an arm. Let's face it this guy was born to become a legendary Baseball player.

I'm going to open like this. Feel free to add you opinion about the one and only Willie Mays.

2. LouGehrig

LouGehrig Guest

Willie was better than Barry but not as good as Babe Ruth.

3. The_Kid

The_Kid Sexy Beast

Willie is my greatest player ever. I feel he was so well rounded, and pocessed those 5 tools, using them all extremely well.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Willie Mays in my opinion is the second greatest player of all time, Babe Ruth being the first. Willie could do anything you ask him to, he hit for power, he hit for average, he could steal bases, and he was a great outfielder, with a great arm.

He was a two time NL MVP, once in 1954 and in 1965, he was a 12 time gold glove winner. He was the first player to reach 500 home runs and 3000 hits.

He has one of the most famous catches of all time, in the 1954 World Series.

He was also a great human being, he was great on the field but he was also great off the field. Great player, and great human being.

5. LouGehrig

LouGehrig Guest

I love Willie Mays, but do some investigating and you will discover that Willie is far from a great human being. He is a mean guy.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well, I could look for hours, but you seem to know what you're talking about, so can you give me a couple of examples of how Willie Mays was really as a person, I am really interested to know. Because to my knowledge he was great off the field. If anyone else knows as well, please tell me as well. I am really interested to find out.

7. The_Kid

The_Kid Sexy Beast

I beg to differ. Here is some evidence in effort to prove Willie was an okay guy:

1. In 2004, Mays received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Yale University.

2. In 2005 he was recognized for his accomplishments on and off of the field when he received the Bobby Bragan Youth Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award.

3. Here's a public service announcement Mays put out to warn children of the dangers of blasting caps: http://homepage.mac.com/pjfraser/blastingcaps/iMovieTheater104.html