Will we see the day?....

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
When members are sold as ad space?

I was just reading the thread about the new addition of more ads on the site. Originally I had planned on posting something about the site looking like a nascar drivers jacket, or even one of those international hockey player jerseys with the ads all over them like this:

Then I got to thinking... Could that be worth something? Much like companies wanting to advertise on certain cars in Nascar or certain players in the Euro leagues. Will we ever see a day where the makers of the Abortion ringtone will want their ad space readily attached to Constantine?

I mean really think about that... You get a quality member that the other members are going to recognize and read as many of their posts as possible, thats the whole scheme behind mass marketing - get your product out and in front of as many faces as possible. If you can stick a Snorg Tees logo somewhere on my sidebar everytime I posted... thats over 1100 different places the snorg tees logo would be. Quite an interesting concept.

So in the future, do you think we'll ever see members that have over so many posts on a forum be considered and sold as useful ad space?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
hahaha yeah the whole "Human Ad Space" was another influence I suppose to this thread. You have no idea how hard I tried not to use that Moniker.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This happens on large forums and I can see it being reality here one day. Its a little different than you think though.

What happens is say a guy has 10,000 posts on a forum, he could sell a text link in his signature for say $100/month. Its not advertising in hopes that someone will click through, its advertising for the purpose of creating backlinks. So, I have a website, I buy a signature link that generate 10,000 backlinks and these causes my website pr(authority) to go up. Happens frequently on digitalpoint.

The sig link may look like this: Webhosting special $5.99 And it would be linked to a web hosting site.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Really.. so it already happens then. Lmao I guess I'm not the clever ad space pioneer I thought I was.

That makes sense though. So the initial advertisement benefits go to the website though, not the actual member. I'd assume that even though its the members personal profile, the actual website still "owns" the rights to it so they should get all the benefits. Or am I confused, wow the legal implications of these types of things.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
MenInTights is right. I hate forums like that though and will do what I can do avoid going there with GF.

It just makes the place feel cheap and dirty. :lol:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
well dont get me wrong, as a fan of North American hockey I always freak out at the thought of ads being put on our jerseys like the Euro's. So I know how bad adding advertisements everywhere can really muck up a place.

I just hadnt fathomed the thought of Individual Member Ad Space. lol what a flop to find out it already exists ahahaha.