• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Will we see a Constitutional Convention soon?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Mark Levin, who I love to read but can't stand to listen to, wrote a very non-partisan book recently called the Liberty Amendments where he started the ball rolling for a Constitutional Convention and he proposed the following amendments to the Constitution:

1.Term limits, including for justices.
2. Repealing Amendment 17 and returning the election of senators to state legislatures
3. A congressional supermajority to override Supreme Court decisions (overruling what could be a stacked court)
4. Spending limit based on GDP
5. Taxation capped at 15%
6. Limiting the commerce clause, and strengthening private property rights
7. Power of states to override a federal statute by a three-fifths vote.

I read a good part of this book and it was excellent.

This may come as a shock to many, but several states are moving to call a Convention. There was a fresh batch of poll numbers last week that showed Obama, Democrats, Republicans and Congress are all in horrible shape. There is simply zero confidence in any central government right now. If there has ever been a time for a Constitutional Convention, I think it is now. I honestly think we could be a few years away from seeing one. Levin's book was not meant to be a definitive guide, just a few suggestions of things that liberals and conservatives could agree on that need to be Constitutional.

Do you think it will happen and would you support it?

dDave

V.I.P.
The Liberty Amendments is a book that I've been wanting to read recently. Van just so happens to own a copy so I'll probably just borrow his.

This may sound really dumb but I had no idea that senators were ever elected by state legislatures, I guess it just never occurred to me, makes perfect sense though.

I've heard him talking about a Constitutional Convention on the radio and I have to say that it sounds like a great idea. The most logical way we're going to see this happen is if we get the support of 2/3 of the states, I don't see 2/3 of both houses of Congress coming together for this one.

Lots of people claim that the Constitution is a living and breathing document that needs to be adjusted for the times. This is actually true, that doesn't mean reinterpreting what we already have in there though, the amendment process was created for a reason and we need to make good use of it again.