• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Will there be a lockout?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
From what I've read and heard it seems the NBA is in a worst spot then the NFL right now concerning labor talks. A lot of high profile people don't believe there's going to be an NBA season in 2011-2012. What are your thoughts?

Personally, I don't believe we'll get a full season. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have any Basketball at all. Hopefully that's not the case because I'd hate to miss a full season just like it happened to Hockey a few years ago, but it seems like it's the route it's going to go unfortunately.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
All I'm hoping for is that either the NFL or the NBA get their acts straight because I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have football or basketball. Maybe I could follow hockey again.

BigBob

Registered Member
Rumor has it from a couple of star players (from ESPN the Mags "Player X" articles) that they do plan on going over seas and playing and it was also said that a couple of big name players said if they go over, they won't be just for one season.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
The Mavs being the last team to win a title in the NBA for a few years doesn't sound too bad. The Heat losing and not being able to redeem themselves for a few years sounds even better. :D

No but seriously, I think if the players knew what was ultimately better for them and the NBA, they wouldn't just jump overseas. Foreign players have an excuse, but especially for star American players, I don't think they have any reason to quit here.

BigBob

Registered Member
The Mavs being the last team to win a title in the NBA for a few years doesn't sound too bad. The Heat losing and not being able to redeem themselves for a few years sounds even better. :D

No but seriously, I think if the players knew what was ultimately better for them and the NBA, they wouldn't just jump overseas. Foreign players have an excuse, but especially for star American players, I don't think they have any reason to quit here.
They want more money.. and some people just want to play basketball. It was rumored that Kobe may be one of the players to go over seas.

Foreign teams are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a star because it'll bring more fans in over seas.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
That may be true, but reputation and coverage is a lot better in the states, imo. They can get paid and play with all the less talented players they want, but I don't think their reputation will get better overseas. Their marketability won't go up. They can be the biggest superstars overseas, but there will always be the fact that it wasn't in the NBA.

A classic case is Stephon Marbury. He just does all these fancy crossovers and shoots half-court 3s in China. He's incredible there. He wins all these awards, but he's still not really respected cause he's not in the NBA.

If people just want to play, then going wherever there is the opportunity is ok. Maybe the superstars who want to keep building on their fame would consider not heading overseas.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know if a lot of stars will play over seas, it would be interesting to see though. A lockout might help older players, like it did for a few players in the NHL when they went in to lockout mode. Personally, I don't see them playing until January or Decenmber.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
It's just kind of sad how money and greed is having an effect on two sports at the same time this year...so what's at the center of the labor talks at hand? Do the players want more negotiating rights, or money, or what?

I honestly hadn't heard about this until less than a week ago, it felt like it kind of came out of nowhere.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I think the owners are saying that teams are costing them money so they want to keep more of the league revenue (previously 57% to the players). And players don't want their paychecks cut that much because aside from big superstars, a decrease in pay could actually have a big effect on their salaries.

I think the owners also want a hard salary cap so it can limit player salaries and cut down on long term contracts. There might be more, but I cna't remember.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I hope there is an NFL, NBA, and MLB lockout (the next season). That would be crazy to go through almost an entire year of the main sports not being played.

I would be interesting to see how people reacted. I only pay attention to the NFL and I would miss an NFL season mainly because of FF. But I really think the owners are trying to screw the players.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crypticshock Hockey 1
Millz Hockey 184
Babe_Ruth NFL 1
Mirage NBA 1
Konshentz NFL 2