• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Will there be a 2011 NFL Season

What will happen to the 2011 NFL Season

• Shortened training camp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Push back regular season

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bosox04

Registered Member
The NFL owners walked out of the most recent meetings with the NFLPA, showing that they're not ready to let up the purse strings at all.

This makes me question, what do you think is going to happen to the NFL season next year? Clearly there will be a season...and there is too much money to be lost...however, if the players do strike or lockout, could there be reprocussions like MLB had post the 1994 strike? Or the NHL after the canceling of the 2004-2005 season?

And how pissed would you be if you were the city of Indianapolis and the season is canceled?

Thoughs/Poll

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It's either the best case or worse case scenario that will take place.

Honestly, they won't cut a few weeks in the regular season. The season will most likely be cancelled.

I am expecting the worse because the NFLPA is always picky.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Roger Goodell wants a season for obvious reason, but DeMaurice Smith is hardd headed and doesn't want to budge on his stance. He even went on record to say that this is "war". Right now I'm leaning that there won't be any football, it just seems that the two parties can't agree on anything. This will be a long fought battle, and it's not going to be pretty by any means.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
Yeah I really don't think there's gonna be a football season. Both sides don't look like they are gonna be anywhere near on coming to terms on a new CBA in the foreseeable future. Heck I might even go out of a limb and say they're could be a possibility that the season following the next one might even be shortened in some way.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
My choice wasn't up there, some teams may agree with league on the bargaining agreement, and some may not, so there could be a possibility of having replacement players on some if not most teams. I know this sound ridiculous but I doubt that the NFL wants to lose a ton of money on a canceled season as well as the owners. If there are not replacement teams I can see them not having a season at all which is more realistic.

Bosox04

Registered Member
There are far too many hands in on this decision.

Lets not forget, there has never been a strike/lockout that has worked out. Baseball gave "America's Pastime" away to the NFL when they canceled the 2004 World Series. The NHL's primary station was ESPN prior to the cancellation of the 04-05 season. Now, they're burried on Versus.

The NFL has the richest TV contract in professional sports. Don't think that ESPN, FOX, NBC, and CBS won't have a say in this. They have invested far too much money. If this fight goes on too long, ESPN will start blasting NFL owners into submission.

The NFL is not impervious. The viewership of NCAA football and the BCS grows exponentially each year. You might start to see a shift of NFL viewers to the NCAA. This might be a bit of a crazy thought, but think about it for a second. If the NFL cancels the season, many students might not come out for the draft (especially if rookie salaries get cut). This would make the NCAA product that much better. Can you imagine if Vince Young would have stayed another year at Texas? Sam Bradford at Oklahoma? Mark Sanchez at USC?

The NFL needs to end this and end it soon...otherwise, they will lose viewers and attendance. Sure, Teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots will all survive, but what about struggling Jacksonville? Detroit? Buffalo? You might see a bit of a die off. Not contraction, but you could certainly see them move out of these cities.

Bottom line is, they say the bigger they are, the harder they fall...and the NFL could find this out the hard way.

Impact

V.I.P.
All I can say is they had better sort it out. I only just got round to liking football, and I want to continue that later this year. Don't take it away from me or I may just go back to hating sport.

Bosox04

Registered Member
All I can say is they had better sort it out. I only just got round to liking football, and I want to continue that later this year. Don't take it away from me or I may just go back to hating sport.
This is exactly the sentiment that could cause serious problems in the NFL.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
When Baseball went on strike in '94 they lost a lot of fans, it wasn't till '98 that the fans came started to come back. I don't believe that the NFL will lose lots of fans in it goes in to lockout mode, but I do believe that some fans will be very unhappy and refuse to watch it when and when they do come back.

The positive side is that there's still College Football, and some fans can just lean on that.

Last edited:

Bosox04

Registered Member
I like the college game more, to be honest with you...of course, I'm an advocate for a playoff system.

I find it interesting that the NFLPA and the players seem to be at odds. More and more sources are coming out saying that the players aren't in agreement with the union. I think this plays right into the owner's hands. Think about it...if they could lock down the union, they could easily come out of this with a great deal for them, and no union. A pro sports ownership dream.