Will the Tea Party Capitolize in 2010 Elections?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by icegoat63, Apr 19, 2010.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I couldnt sleep, so I was killing time catching up on some news when I stumbled upon this article;

Now I highlight the Tea Party Movement for one reason... because it seems to be the 3rd party or even "Variable" for that matter thats gained the most steam and attention especially in recent months.

Politics much like alot of things to me largely resembles a basic consumer / producer relationship. Politicians make their Promises (Producer) and the People will vote for those Politicians that best suit their needs (Consume). What I have been noticing the most of is that both the Democrats and the Republicans arent up to date with what vast majority of Consumers are craving. However its this Tea Party Movement that is sweeping the nation harder than the iPad.

Alot of people I've noticed have really grated against the Tea Party movement, I mean hell especially on this site I've had the luxury of hearing it called everything from a Radical Movement of nothing more than Government Hating, Gun Toting Nascar Fans to A movement in the direction the whole nation should take!. I'm not asking Whos right and wrong... heh, I'm sure I could really capitalize here on footprints if that was what I'm looking for but I'm not.

The discussion I'm really looking for though is simple; With 80% of the people in this poll against or unhappy with our current government... will it be the Tea Party Supporters (meaning the Participating TPM Politicians) who benefit the most in this upcoming June 8th elections? Could the "Tea Party" be the 3rd party that dethrones one of our current Parties in this US System?

2. maverick935

maverick935 New Member

Its unlikley that the Tea Party will gain other than in publicity which they seem to have quite a lot of already .

The two party system is too entrenched for candidates bearing the tea party name to break through. Having said that i think that the Republicans are in for a good election, the democrats will be punished in the short term for Health Care Reform. A Republican who shows support for the tea partys will go a long way i think.

come the mid terms

Democrats get a kicking and Repulicans storm ahead

Tea party gets more powerful supporters in its pocket. :sigh:

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I would suppose they would, I do think there are going to be big changes in Washington in the next election. But if you mean the TP actually replaces one of the current parties? No. I do think they'll influence many Congressional elections but I do not think they will actually replace one of the parties.

4. icegoat63

I ask this because alot of people thought the Whig Party was nothing more than a Gimmick to. The whole theme of the Whig Party was that Andrew Jackson was no different than living under the English Throne.... we're talking a whole political party based on the opposition of the Jacksonian Democracy.

William Henry Harrison, Zachary Tayler, Millard Fillmore, John Tyler, and Henry Clay are all men that came out of the Whig party and made their mark on US History. Not to mention Lincoln was a Whig before he was a Republican.

I find it very interesting that we have had this Political Climate before, where the Two main Parties are sitting comfortably, seemingly invincible then a small movement pops up and it looks nothing more than just a bunch of People rallying over a random ideology unique to its time. It may not be the initial intent of the Tea Party Movement to repeat US History here.... but sometimes things happen beyond our own grasps, movements pick up more steam than originally thought they could and next thing you know you've got 80% of the US Population supporting your ideologies :eyebrow:

5. CaptainObvious

I thought about that too as I was writing my response. That the Whig party made their mark on history and was eventually phased out. But I think the difference is that many left and joined the Republican party, and some the Democrat party, mostly on the issue of slavery. I think now the parties are much more entrenched in our political lanscape and while at times it can be divisive, I don't think it's the same as with the issue of slavery.

I do see your point though and you may be right.

6. icegoat63

haha yeah I'm reaching hard. Trust me I know that. But what good is a Topic that stays in the comfort zone right? :hah:

Its funny you mention how the Whigs did Defect to the Republicans and Democrats after the Slavery Situation destroyed the Whig Movement itself. At first I just figured that the Tea Party would be nothing more than an Accent of the Republican party. Sorta like the NRA works as a complimentary organization to the Republicans and those who vote for Republicans. But the more I've seen the Tea Party at work... the more I see them trying to establish themselves as individuals, tied to no single party. They've done so by clearly pointing out Opposition in both Parties regardless of any Alliances.

This would be a crucial step in becoming a force to be reckoned with when combating against two entrenched facets of competition. Individuality sets you aside from the Norm and the Norm is what 80% of Americans are unhappy with.... Thats when unpredictable stretches become reality. HOWEVER, that brings me back to my believe that Politics is an operation no different than any other Marketing scheme, a Consumer / Producer relationship. We all know what happens when a new product catches steam.

Either the competition ducks down and tries to weather a dry storm... or they join suit and try to compete at the same game. In Marketing those small bursts of interest tend to be referred to as "Bubbles". The Tea Party Bubble to me looks like its getting bigger by the day, more prominent by the month. Alot of politicians know this, those who oppose the Tea Party movement are scared of it and their actions will speak much clearer than their teleprompters have. But what gets me is I wont be surprised one bit if we see the Tea Party movement make some sort of impact on the upcoming elections, California's Primaries are June 8th...

But it'll be this election that would set the stage of seriousness for the Tea Party Bubble. If it sticks around... I'd bet that we'll start to see more Politicians Supporting it 7fold than what are currently on board with it. Mark my words ;)

7. CaptainObvious

You know, I don't really think it's that much of a reach. I think there definitely are some similarities to what has happened in the past.

You're right, I don't see them as a group like the NRA, they're very much independent. They're gaining more and more momentum and we could very well see them replace the Republican party at some point.

These next few elections are definitely key on whether how influential they turn out to be.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think it's an astronomically low possibility. They're way too fractured and they don't have a real face yet. Not to mention, they've got quite a few followers that fall into either the racist or radical categories. Also and I really don't want to railroad this thread but, Sarah Palin. They actually have her as some sort of figure head. Did people just forget about how much she helped McCain in the previous election?

9. icegoat63

Rationally speaking, Elections are about Numbers... if they've got quite a few of anything, thats more than some of their competitors. As far as not having a real face yet.... I did a little research and from what it looks like, they actually do. But they're doing it at the Grassroots level first. Apparently testing the water. The "faces" are here;

Tea Party Patriots | Find Your Local Tea Party

In my area there is a Man who is listed in this Tea Party Patriots, Damon Dunn. He's using his political stance paired with the backing of Tea Party support as his main basis of campaigning. I would imagine that if they are successful at the grassroots level.... I wont be surprised one tiny bit if a face will suddenly appear on that Tea Party Patriots home page as the man or woman they want their followers to support.

Always back to Sarah Palin. You know whats funny... I guess it is a cyclical pattern. Why we are so drawn to Palin kinda makes me laugh. Im starting to think more and more that she's going to be an unlikely candidate for Election in 2012. Just dont think she has the Character for it personally. However, if we went back to that first pole I posted in the OP... some 80% of people were poled as "Unhappy with the current government set up". It wouldnt be suprising to the least bit if we've got 80% of the US Citizens that would be more willing to vote for an Anti-Obama than they are the right choice.

And that leads us right back to what you said earlier in your post. If thats the case, I believe the 2012 election is gonna boil down who has the candidate that is the most Anti-Obama... and who has the following. You've already said;

and you're right they do... no matter what those peoples moral line lays.... in the eyes of an election they are still just 1 vote. Call me crooked, but I think if the Tea Party wants prominence, they're doing so strongly by getting the backing of the most Radical individuals first.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

That's just logic, not rationality. Besides, having a lot doesn't mean they have a lot of votes technically. Plenty of people talk the big talk and refuse to walk, if you hear me.

Also, having a website does not equate to having a face. The views of the tea party are what I'm talking about here. They're fractured and without consistency. If they want to be the next big political movement, they need a bit less chaos and a bit more organization. Problem is, like I was sort of alluding to, they have followers with legitimate and understandable pillars of belief (such as smaller government) but they also have followers who seem to be using it as an excuse to be racist and violent. Bottom line, they need a figure head or two (preferably a few) that will really combine them as a whole and set some ground rules. Some people think it's just an anti-Obama club, some people think it's just a bunch of lazy bastards who don't want to pay tax, some think they're a real progression in American politics. The problem is not just the image, but the organization.

Once again, it's a web page. Obama may have won the election thanks in part to an incredible online campaign but that doesn't mean it represents anything important. I dread the inevitable day that politicians are researched through their websites more than in person.

That how I believe Obama won the election, he was the anti-Bush.