Will the Maple Leafs make the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Rios15, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Rios15

Rios15 Guest

I wanna know what people think, will the Leafs make the playoffs? What place?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

They have improved a lot this year by acquiring Jason Blake, Mark Bell and Vesa Toskala, but the overall Eastern Conference as improved as well. It's going to be tough for them to make it, but I beleive that they'll finish in 7th or 8th place. It all depends on how Toskala reacts as a number 1 goalie.

3. Rios15

Rios15 Guest

Yea I hope Toskala will be good, Raycroft just sucks. I also wanna see Pogge play next season. He was a great goalie for team Canada Juniors. I wonder how he would play in the Big Leagues!

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

We won't see Justin Podge in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform next season(barring injury) and the Leafs organization are fine with that. They want him to get a full year at the AHL level under his belt before he comes up to the big club. Which I think is a great idea. You have two good goalies that can get you a win on any given night so there's no need to bring up Podge this year. But during the 2009 season will be seeing Justing Podge in a Maple Leafs uniform...I'm ready to put some money on it.

5. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Plus the addition of Clemmson to basically be the backup for Toskla don't give Pogge much hope for making the NHL this year.

The Leafs will make the playoffs if their team can actually stay at a strong hockey level the entire season. They can't seem to do that and it really hurts them year in and year out. But with their new additions I can see them making it but at a low seed such as seven or eight because the east is stacked.

6. Slippery Jim

Slippery Jim Guest

Even though i hate the leafs, i think they'll make it. They've waited long enough and they have J. Blake and Toskala, to back up Raycroft (or maybe Toskala is the main, i'm not sure), and they're captain is still alive, with no weak defense. I think they've got a pretty good chance

7. I think ottawa, pittsburgh, buffalo, the rangers, and pittsburgh all locks for the playoffs, beyond that who knows, so i could see them making it. But bell is suspended now, but blake was a good pick-up. As for toskala who knows if he can handle a full season but i do like the move.

8. andrew_bishop

Right now it don't fully matter if Toskla can hold down the fort for the full year because it don't look like Raycroft is going anywhere right now. Even with Bell gone I think the other moves we did in the off season are enough to pay off and keep us alive through some rough times.

However I like the idea that the Leafs are open to deals for many of their guys so that could give some young stars the edge to step up that they need.

9. Slippery Jim

Slippery Jim Guest

Lightning and Devils probably have a lock too

10. andrew_bishop

I doubt the Devils do now with the loss of some of their key guys from a year ago however at the same time its hard to count any team out really when you have Brodeur between the pipes I would guess.