Will Shelton Benjamin ever make it to the main event?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Unity, Mar 31, 2010.

?

Will "The Gold Standard" Shelton Benjamin ever make it to the main event?

1. Yes, and in 2010.

11.1%
  2. Yes, but not until around 2011-2012.

11.1%
  3. Yes, but after 5 more more years.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, he just doesn't have that "it" factor (in your eyes or at least in Vince McMahon's eyes).

77.8%
  1. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I've been a huge fan of Shelton Benjamin since he first went solo and had that match with HHH on RAW several years ago.

I thought it would be good to start a discussion on Benjamin and his main event/heavyweight title prospects.

In regards to the poll and Shelton Benjamin's current status (here and now in 2010), do you think he'll make it to the top? He has the in ring ability, but does he have the "it" factor? His mic skills are lacking, but are close to the department of John Morrison's (worse, but in the same bracket IMO). Could this easily be resolved with a manager or just more time/training on the stick?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It's unfortunate but I think Benjamin will never be a main eventer. I thought they were going to push him huge after the great match he had against Shawn Michaels at the Gold Rush tournament. But it never happened.

I think that Shelton Benjamin is extremely more talented then Jeff Hardy, but because he was never over like Hardy was he never got a chance, and almost 100% he'll never will.

I am not 100% sure about this, but it might be because he's African-American and we all know what Michael Hayes thinks of African-Americans and I think it's one of the reasons why he's never gotten the push he's deserved for several years now. Michael Hayes as a lot of say in the company because he's buddy-buddy with Vince McMahon.

He'll probably be a mid-carder for the rest of his career.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Shelton has the skills, the size, and the look to be at main events and even a World Champion. Unfortunately, most fans seem to find him boring on the mic and that is what ultimately decides who wears the World Title: whoever gets the biggest crowd reactions. Shelton doesn't. It's ashame because in the ring he's up there with the best and he's a good worker...but he'll be nothing more then a mid-card.

4. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

I don't think he ever will. The main reason the same one that everyone else has stated so far and that being his terrible mic skills. I like him in the ring and he does put on a good show, but lacking good mic skills kills it for any chance at a main event at least in my eyes.

5. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

i don't think he will, which is unfortunate because Shelton Benjamin is arguably the best in ring performer in the WWE.

I don't understand how WWE haven't made this guy a main eventer yet. I don't care if he's average at best on the mic, he can put on a great match and with the stuff he pulls off in the ring, it's easy to get the fans behind him. I think his chance has gone though (or more taken from him) as right now there's the older generation of main eventers in WWE, and then the younger generation (Ziggler, Morrison, McIntyre and NXT stars) and Shelton Benjamin is kind of... caught in the middle somewhere.

I don't think you can blame it on mic skills. Jeff Hardy is much worse on the mic and he was a World Champion. Great Khali has NO mic skills and was a terrible wrestler and he was given a chance with the title. I'd say Chris Benoit and Rey Mysterio have equal mic skills to Shelton Benjamin. I'd say Benjamin get work a mic better than Swagger and he's Mr. Money in The Bank!

Hopefully one day he'll get a chance at the main event, because he is a fantastic performer, but i can't see it happening.

6. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

He is a very good Wrestler but he is just too bland if you get what I mean.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

He needs a character, a sell. Nothing about him is very interesting, he needs a good gimmick.

8. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

Good point Ruth, Bret Hart was terrible on the mic when he started and he still got his push, I never thought about the racial card on the reason why Shelton never gets a big push, maybe it is a racist thing and if it is, it is a damn shame to let a talent like Shelton rot in the mid card ranks for the rest of his career.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Makes you kind of wonder about Kofi as well how he got a push and then just disappeared.

10. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Its just never going to happen. If it was going to happen then it would have happened already.

I guess Bradshaw got a main event push for no reason after being a midcarder but I dont see it happening for Shelton.