• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Will MMA ever lose it's popularity

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Mix martial arts as been around a long time but it's really taken off this past decade. I was wondering if it will ever fade away or is it going to be around for the long run ala WWE.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Dickey's Flow said:
Mix martial arts as been around a long time but it's really taken off this past decade. I was wondering if it will ever fade away or is it going to be around for the long run ala WWE.
I think its popularity will have its peaks and valleys just like anything else does. There will always be a market for it, so it's never going to go away completely.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
BourneofDarkness15 said:
It'll get even bigger than it is now, but there will be a lull period in the next 5-7 years
I think it might even be going through one right now to an extent with St-Pierre and Silva (who's never been a MAJOR draw actually) on the sidelines for the foreseeable future.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
BJBirdy said:
BourneofDarkness15 said:
It'll get even bigger than it is now, but there will be a lull period in the next 5-7 years
I think it might even be going through one right now to an extent with St-Pierre and Silva (who's never been a MAJOR draw actually) on the sidelines for the foreseeable future.
That's a great point but I think they'll be fine since lots of fans were wanting to see Silva beat again, sucks about that gruesome leg injury though

BJBirdy

Registered Member
BourneofDarkness15 said:
BJBirdy said:
BourneofDarkness15 said:
That's a great point but I think they'll be fine since lots of fans were wanting to see Silva beat again, sucks about that gruesome leg injury though
I'm eager to see what the buyrate from this past weekend will be. I'm guessing it's gonna be around 250,000. Last year's Super Bowl eve card only did around 330,000, and that card was pretty stacked in my opinion.

Like every combat sport, MMA will have its cycles. Question is will they be able to catch lightning in a bottle and reinvent themselves when time calls for it?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Losing Lesnar, GSP and Silva does hurt with the popularity of the sport. Casual fans like myself buy PPV's with those guys on the card because of their name and not the sport. They'll have to find ways to keep and others interested if they still want high PPV but rates. But that's my opinion..not saying it's right.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Dickey's Flow said:
Losing Lesnar, GSP and Silva does hurt with the popularity of the sport. Casual fans like myself buy PPV's with those guys on the card because of their name and not the sport. They'll have to find ways to keep and others interested if they still want high PPV but rates. But that's my opinion..not saying it's right.
They'll build new stars, but it'll take time.