Xbox 360 Will Halo Fans Like Halo Wars?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you think? Will fans of the Halo games automatically like Halo Wars? I think Bungie is dropping the ball with HW to be honest.

It's an RTS game. Chances are that most people who play Halo will not be into it. It's also coming out right around the time when StarCraft 2 comes out, which stands a really good chance of being much more popular. I mean, Bungie has nothing to show in the RTS category so far. Blizzard on the other hand, has a HUGE amount of fans of Warcraft 3 who will all probably be psyched about SC2. I wouldn't be surprised if StarCraft spins off into a "World of Starcraft" or "Galaxy of Starcraft" franchise like WoW did.

Anyway, I think it's the wrong move for Bungie. Maybe Halo fans will love Halo Wars, but I have a feeling a lot of people will buy it not fully understanding what an RTS is and end up being disappointed. I mean, it's not going to be a true Halo sequel at all. It will take place in the same world but it's simply not a shooter.

What do you think?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I thought you were sick of hearing about Halo? lol

No, I sincerely doubt I will have any interest whatsoever in Halo Wars. It's been suggested to me that I at least get the demo to play it, but I probably won't even do that. I'm not a fan of RTS that involves building worlds, armies, or whatever.

I'm actually a huge fan of RTS's. I've heard a lot of good things about Halo Wars from people that have downloaded the demo. I mean frankly, I don't think it's going to be that much of a tie between the two games. How many people really remember the actual story line of the three Halo games? I know prolly half the members here do, but frankly the attraction of the halo games was the online content more so than the campaign. (Post H1 of course)

So while halo players will undoubtably play the game, I have a feeling that it's going to be mainly RTS players that keep playin the game.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not sick of hearing about it. Just sick of playing it. :lol:

Honestly though, I think Bungie is making a mistake. To summarize my points in the OP, here's why Halo Wars was a bad idea:

1. StarCraft 2 is coming out soon and is likely to dominate Halo Wars.
2. Halo fans as a whole will probably not be interested in it.

Bungie had something great going with the Halo franchise. Why wouldn't they make another shooter? Halo fans will get sick of Halo 3 after a while and want something new to play. Bungie is missing their chance to have these fans all buying a new game from them, and instead they'll risk losing fans to a new franchise.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm not interested in this game at all and I think Bungie would have been much better off re-releasing (not remaking) Halo 1 with online play.

Making another Halo shooter would be a huge mistake in my opinion. They had a huge success with the three games, but there's not much else they can do with the game. I think it's safe to say the Halo series is done, as a shooter atleast.

Yeah Hybrix SC 2 is coming out, it's been coming out for how long now? Starcraft is a beef of a name, but frankly SC 2 isn't going to stack up to SC 1 mainly because SC 1 was just revolutionary in the grand scheme of RTS's. Thats what made it so amazing. The online content was unheard of. (Just as the Halo series dominates shooters.) I think any RTS would be able to compete with SC 2, it's got a name on itself but so does Halo Wars.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think any RTS would be able to compete with SC 2, it's got a name on itself but so does Halo Wars.
Halo doesn't have a name as an RTS though. (Oddly enough the first Halo was supposed to be a Mac RTS before Microsoft bought Bungie, lol).

A Halo RTS still won't get the core Halo fans excited though. My point is that Bungie is going to lose fans to other shooters because of this. I'm not saying they should have made a Halo 4, but look at Valve. Valve made Half-Life, then popular mods were made and eventually purchased by Valve and released such as Counterstrike, Team Fortress, etc. Bungie should have taken this opportunity to launch a new shooter series while they have a ton of fans.

Look at Rareware. They were the console shooter king for a while with GoldenEye and Perfect Dark for the N64. Fast forward half a decade and they tried to make Perfect Dark Zero for the XBOX 360. Guess what? It flopped. Granted, it got terrible reviews, but they also completely dropped the shooter genre for a while and even split their company a few times. They should have stuck with what worked and so should Bungie.

If another company picks up where Bungie left off, do you really think Halo fans will go back to Bungie when they make a shooter again later? Highly unlikely. With Rareware, most GoldenEye/PD fans went to Halo when that game out. They didn't bat an eye when Rare released Perfect Dark Zero. Why? Because they already had a new game they liked, aka Halo.

Halo is definitely not invincible. Gaming fans are easily lost in just a few years time. There will be bigger and better "Halo killers" released soon that will make Halo nothing more than a distant memory for most. Much like it already is for me.

Midget

Registered Member
Surprisingly, die hard Halo fans across all sights are loving this game. Specifically the ones that love it for the story. And I am getting reports of how great it is from people that hated RTS' and just want to play it because it says "Halo" on it.

I am even considering it for a few reasons. I personally believe RTS' need to be on PC's. But everyone is ranting and raving about how well this works on a console. And there is nothing more I love then co-op. Only time will tell. If anything, I'll buy it used.

Halo doesn't have a name as an RTS though. (Oddly enough the first Halo was supposed to be a Mac RTS before Microsoft bought Bungie, lol).
And Warcraft didn't have a name for MMO's

A Halo RTS still won't get the core Halo fans excited though. My point is that Bungie is going to lose fans to other shooters because of this. I'm not saying they should have made a Halo 4, but look at Valve. Valve made Half-Life, then popular mods were made and eventually purchased by Valve and released such as Counterstrike, Team Fortress, etc. Bungie should have taken this opportunity to launch a new shooter series while they have a ton of fans.
Bungie will inevitably lose "shooter" fans for the time being. Halo 3 is going to be played for atleast another year or two faithfully. They are going to lose some of the "mass" fans they attracted, but the Halo fans will still be there. I can't see them losing them immediately, however, I like this move by Bungie. They're using their big name game to move into a different genre of gaming. If it pans out the way they want they won't be tied down to just shooters.

Look at Rareware. They were the console shooter king for a while with GoldenEye and Perfect Dark for the N64. Fast forward half a decade and they tried to make Perfect Dark Zero for the XBOX 360. Guess what? It flopped. Granted, it got terrible reviews, but they also completely dropped the shooter genre for a while and even split their company a few times. They should have stuck with what worked and so should Bungie.
Half a decade makes a lot of difference in video games. What did they bring out besides PDZ? You can't just make a half assed sequal with good graphics and think it's going to work, the game market is wayyy too compettive for that now. If anything Bungie has shown it's ability to meet the market's demands. Bringing out HW will just show their diversity. Personally I just got done playing the demo, and it's pretty damn good.

If another company picks up where Bungie left off, do you really think Halo fans will go back to Bungie when they make a shooter again later? Highly unlikely. With Rareware, most GoldenEye/PD fans went to Halo when that game out. They didn't bat an eye when Rare released Perfect Dark Zero. Why? Because they already had a new game they liked, aka Halo.
There will always be a niche' for Bungie. You can't deny that. The difference between Rareware and Bungie is Bungie has already brought 3 shooters out that have BLOWN out the competition. They have the ability to cater to both the "masses" while keeping hardcore Halo gamers somewhat happy. They lost some between the transfer from H1 - H2, but gained just as many.

Halo is definitely not invincible. Gaming fans are easily lost in just a few years time. There will be bigger and better "Halo killers" released soon that will make Halo nothing more than a distant memory for most. Much like it already is for me.
Thats the name of the gaming industry, holding out and staying only in the shooter genre will only allow Bungie to sink. Thats my opinion though. Expanding genre's is a risky move, but it may ensure their longevity in the gaming business.