• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Will Djokovic catch Federer?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Djokovic won his first French Open today, giving him a total of 12 Grand Slam titles. He's also the first man to hold all four Grand Slams at the same time since Rod Laver in 1969.

So the question is, at 29 years old, how many more can he win?

Federer has 17. Nadal and Sampras have 14. Will he catch them?

I think he has a pretty good chance. With Federer and Nadal no longer being serious contenders, Novak is so far ahead of the rest of the competition, and I could easily see him winning at least 2-3 Grand Slams per year for the next few years.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
He's definitely catching Nadal and Sampras. And he has a legit good chance at catching Federer too. He's so dominant on the men's circuit right now. He can easily surpass Federer in the next 5 years if he remains healthy.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The stage is set for Djokovic and Murray to dominate men's tennis for the next 3 years at least. Wawrinka could push them for a while, but he's 31. And, I don't believe my Canadian boy Raonic will ever figure it all out to win a Grand Slam.

The rest of the contenders are relative no-names, but keep an eye on Dominic Thiem of Austria. He's 22 and on the rise.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I love Tennis and don't watch nearly enough, but I do watch enough to know that Djokovic is legit. I think at his rate and with his age, passing Nadal is definitely a go at this point. I like Murray better but kind of like with golf I just like when good, newer exciting talent can generate buzz about the game of tennis.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The stage is set for Djokovic and Murray to dominate men's tennis for the next 3 years at least. Wawrinka could push them for a while, but he's 31. And, I don't believe my Canadian boy Raonic will ever figure it all out to win a Grand Slam.

The rest of the contenders are relative no-names, but keep an eye on Dominic Thiem of Austria. He's 22 and on the rise.
Murray is a week older than Novak. If they have three years of dominance left in them, Murray might win one or two more Grand Slams. Maybe three. That leaves eight or nine for Novak, which would push him over 20 total. I mean, who else is going to win one while they're still dominating? Maybe Thiem or Kyrgios can take the next step and end Novak's reign. Who knows.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
If Kyrgios can get his shit together and stop acting like he's the 2nd coming of John McEnroe, maybe he could think about winning a Grand Slam but no way I ever see him win one until he changes his behavior & attitude.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I just hope Thiem is not the next Berdych (all kinds of tools, makes quarters and semis of majors, but nothing more.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like others have said, definitely, it could happen. Gotta stay healthy but I don't see why he couldn't at this point. I think every single time I've watched him play, he's won. He's a machine.