• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Will Calvin Johnson surpass Rice?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
As the great wide receiver of all-time?

I've seen a lot of amazing wide receivers in my lifetime(never seen Rice in his prime) and no one is better Calvin Johnson. He has the speed, size, hands, agility. He has it all.

Yes, this is a loaded question, but will he go down as the best Wide Out ever?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Calvin has done some things Jerry has never ever done before! Jerry rice has had the two best QBS of ALL TIME. There for Calvin is not better than Jerry Rice yet but If he keeps this up for 6 or 7 more years no doubt that he will jump Jerry. Also Calvin broke Jerry Rice's receiving record two years ago and I think he can break his other Records if he had an amzing QB like Montana and Young. Time will tell

DrunkGibby

My best guess is he will go down as no worse than #2 all time. He is for sure the most physically gifted wr I've ever seen. Rice's numbers are just stupid, but as the above just mentioned, the stability of the 49ers franchise, offense and qbs definitely helped rice achieve those numbers. I take nothing away from rice. His drive and work ethic are the reason he has just about every receiving record known to man. He's earned it. Megatron definitely has the same drive. If Golden Tate is what I think he can be, then megatron has a shot to put up some ridiculous numbers, not that they aren't ridiculous already.

I sound like a politician by saying wait and see lol. This sounds like the Barry Sanders/Emmitt Smith argument people had 15 years ago or so.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't know. It's so hard to compare some things. Advanced football stats are still not very advanced. And their situations were so different. Rice had two of the greatest QBs of all time passing to him, and had better teams around him to take some of the coverage off him. But Johnson benefits from some of the rules changes, and from playing in a more prolific passing era. And I'm sure there are a bunch of other factors I haven't thought of.

Frankly though, I think Megatron will have to play for at least 5 more years before we can really have this discussion.

smh122

Registered Member
Forget Rice, Megatron wont even be better than Moss imo

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Raw talent wise Randy Moss has that. Randy Moss was notorious for taking plays off. Randy Moss had the tools to be on the same level as Jerry Rice if he wanted to, but due to his work ethic he doesn't come close to Rice. I really like Johnson and how he has played thus far. I think as far as who I would prefer on my team between Johnson now or Moss in his prime, I would go with Johnson, because he is going to show up and give his best effort on every play. You never knew which Randy Moss was going to show up, and that was a big downfall for me.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
The StroShow said:
Raw talent wise Randy Moss has that. Randy Moss was notorious for taking plays off. Randy Moss had the tools to be on the same level as Jerry Rice if he wanted to, but due to his work ethic he doesn't come close to Rice. I really like Johnson and how he has played thus far. I think as far as who I would prefer on my team between Johnson now or Moss in his prime, I would go with Johnson, because he is going to show up and give his best effort on every play. You never knew which Randy Moss was going to show up, and that was a big downfall for me.
Randy Moss is one of the biggest disappointments of my generation as an NFL fan I think. He had all the talent in the world but just never put it together like he could/should have. The fact that he got kicked out of Florida State for academic reasons speaks volumes about Moss' character.

smh122

Registered Member
willge87 said:
smh122 said:
Forget Rice, Megatron wont even be better than Moss imo
Why not?

He'll never be as feared or be the game changer...I don't think he gives off that league-wide fear Moss gave when the Vikes/Pats needed a big play