Wild Hogs

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have seen signs of them on my farm. They have rooted the ground up so bad in the far corners of my yard it will be a challenge to mow. I'm wondering if they are dangerous, will they attack you unprovoked? Should I buy a 45 to protect myself when out on the farm?

Impaired

Registered Member
I have seen signs of them on my farm. They have rooted the ground up so bad in the far corners of my yard it will be a challenge to mow. I'm wondering if they are dangerous, will they attack you unprovoked? Should I buy a 45 to protect myself when out on the farm?
If you are with dogs, then yes. For some reason people alone rarely are attacked, but dogs seem to bring out the asshole in feral hogs.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you are with dogs, then yes. For some reason people alone rarely are attacked, but dogs seem to bring out the asshole in feral hogs.
I don't have dogs but since I started this thread I read where one man said if you happen to get too close to where they are sleeping they can very well attack someone. They like to sleep in shady areas where its hard to see them. If they have piglets that could make them more aggressive also. However I don't think I will be attacked in my yard, at least I hope not.

I talked to my neighbors yesterday and they are tearing up their lakes. They said they have large groups of them. They called the Dept of Conservation and they caught a lot of them but not all.

Every time I see holes they rooted up I want to slap anyone that set their hogs free and caused this.

Impaired

Registered Member
Any animal in their den can be dangerous. Hog on human attacks are fairly rare and seem more common when dogs are involved. It can't hurt to protect yourself but make sure your ammo has stopping power.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My neighbor took his 4 wheeler to the mailbox and on the way back he was chased all the way to his house by a wild boar. I think in the future when I mow the yard I will be armed. I can't out run one on my zero turn.

Impaired

Registered Member
ALl I have to worry about is the deer eating every veggie and flower we plant. Count my blessings, I guess.

Impaired

Registered Member
We have lots of deer here also. Back when my husband had a garden he had a really tall fence around it.
We tried that - up to 8 feet and deer still got over it. I have up the idea then. In fact, we mostly grow vegetables in pots on the back porch and even then sometimes those brazen bastiches still eat them

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We tried that - up to 8 feet and deer still got over it. I have up the idea then. In fact, we mostly grow vegetables in pots on the back porch and even then sometimes those brazen bastiches still eat them
I don't know how tall this fence is but it worked. I know its way over my head.

I planted some flowers one year and they went through my flower garden and ate every one of them. Can't remember what kind but they were, suppose to repel bugs, foliage was kind of bitter smelling. Just looked it up, they were marigolds.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would like to know what is digging holes all over my yard, lots of holes, but so far I haven't caught any hogs on my trail camera. Will put it back out today to see if I can get a picture of anything. Could be armadillos or deer.