• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wikileaks latest revelations

Bjarki

Registered Member
Contents
Information in the first tranche of cables released on 28 November 2010 included the following:
- Special intelligence campaigns were run to spy[16] on the leadership of the United Nations including secretary general, Ban Ki-moon and the permanent security council representatives from China, Russia, France and the UK, as well as many other countries.[16]
- Strong Arab distrust for Iran referring to them as “evil”,[17] as well as encouragement for a military strike on the nuclear facilities in Iran.[18][19]
- Israel was ready to attack a nuclear-armed Iran.[20]
- Grave fears in Washington and London over the security of Pakistan's nuclear weapons programme.[21]
- Alleged links between the Russian government and organised crime.[21]
- Devastating criticism of the UK's military operations in Afghanistan.[21]
- Claims of inappropriate behaviour by a member of the British Royal Family.[21]
- Analyses of numerous leaders, including comparing Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to Adolf Hitler, calling Vladimir Putin an "alpha-dog", Hamid Karzai as being "driven by paranoia" and Angela Merkel as someone who "avoids risk and is rarely creative".[21]
- China was responsible for instigating the June 2010 Google hacking incident.[22]
- According to a cable from the American Embassy in Kabul, Vice President of Afghanistan, Ahmad Zia Massoud, was found carrying $52 million in cash that he “was ultimately allowed to keep without revealing the money’s origin or destination.” The discovery was made in the United Arab Emirates by local authorites working with the Drug Enforcement Agency.[23]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_diplomatic_cables_leak
More to come later.

Though at this point I have to say.. no world-changing disclosures.. although I'm sure that this is gonna hit hard on a national level in some countries.
The US and the UK being among those. As well as some middle eastern countries I suppose.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
This is the worst possible thing that could happen to the US right now, the entire world is turning against you, and you've becoming more and more isolated with no money and an endless war on your hands. I don't know how the public could let this happen, sometimes it seems like Americans want their country to rot to death, maybe they are all just depressed and don't care anymore.

Last edited:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Most of this seems like a lot of open secrets. I mean, we get to find out what some diplomats think of some world leaders, and some confirmation on things we already suspected, and what? These are all documents 3,000,000 Americans had access to. You have to imagine most governments have already read all this stuff. So they act surprised, "oh my," and/or just condemn the leak, "we're all victims here," and everyone goes back to pretending like nobody knows what everyone knows.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
I believe you're under-thinking it. Why would any website want to expose classified information about their own country, risking the lives of those involved and the international relations of the united states, even if it might not happen anything, why take the risk? Its not like any information is relevant to the american people.

Well, Greed, i know. A website looking for hits. Well they better make it count, because the way things are going the Dollar will suffer the same fate as the German coin after WWI.

ExpectantlyIronic

Maikeru said:
Why would any website want to expose classified information about their own country,
Wikileaks is an international organization whose spokesperson is based in Australia.

dDave

V.I.P.
Its' pretty much a guarantee that a lot of people from the state department are going to be fired over this.

Hillary Clinton had better figure out what happened.

I'm currently waiting to hear Hillary Clintons response to the incident.

ExpectantlyIronic

dDave said:
"The American authorities evidently suspect that the cables – as with the already-published Iraqi and Afghan war logs – were leaked by Private Bradley Manning, a 22-year-old soldier who was able to access them from his post as a junior intelligence officer based in Baghdad. " -source

Some guy from the military handed the stuff over to Wikileaks.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Honestly? This just kinda seems like business as usual to me...

I mean, are we actually going to pretend that other countries' diplomats don't say equal, if not worse, things about the US when they aren't speaking in public? Diplomats and ambassadors from all countries are professionals who, at least in general, can differentiate between what they themselves think and what the country they represent is instructing them to think. One diplomat does not represent the entire nation in his or her private communiques.

And as for the international impact... Spying? Distrust? Israel prepared to attack on a moment's notice? China initiating an internet campaign against Google? Sounds like another day at the office for government officials to me. We in the West interfere with the compitition just as much as they do with us; it's just kind of the nature of international politics, really.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Its' pretty much a guarantee that a lot of people from the state department are going to be fired over this.

I'm currently waiting to hear Hillary Clintons response to the incident.
We heard her response tonight. She wasn't happy about it but when they mentioned the "Spying on the UN" thing, she was just like "no comment". That's prolly because she is the politician that was alleged to have organized that.
But yeah, i really dont get all the hype. All countries spy on each other anyway so they prolly already knew most of that stuff in the leaks. But what i dont get is this. I keep hearing that all this stuff was public info and I keep hearing politicians say it wont really have any serious affects on anything. So if it's that minor, why did they even arrest anybody? - Very confused.