More to come later.Contents
Information in the first tranche of cables released on 28 November 2010 included the following:
- Special intelligence campaigns were run to spy on the leadership of the United Nations including secretary general, Ban Ki-moon and the permanent security council representatives from China, Russia, France and the UK, as well as many other countries.
- Strong Arab distrust for Iran referring to them as “evil”, as well as encouragement for a military strike on the nuclear facilities in Iran.
- Israel was ready to attack a nuclear-armed Iran.
- Grave fears in Washington and London over the security of Pakistan's nuclear weapons programme.
- Alleged links between the Russian government and organised crime.
- Devastating criticism of the UK's military operations in Afghanistan.
- Claims of inappropriate behaviour by a member of the British Royal Family.
- Analyses of numerous leaders, including comparing Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to Adolf Hitler, calling Vladimir Putin an "alpha-dog", Hamid Karzai as being "driven by paranoia" and Angela Merkel as someone who "avoids risk and is rarely creative".
- China was responsible for instigating the June 2010 Google hacking incident.
- According to a cable from the American Embassy in Kabul, Vice President of Afghanistan, Ahmad Zia Massoud, was found carrying $52 million in cash that he “was ultimately allowed to keep without revealing the money’s origin or destination.” The discovery was made in the United Arab Emirates by local authorites working with the Drug Enforcement Agency.
Though at this point I have to say.. no world-changing disclosures.. although I'm sure that this is gonna hit hard on a national level in some countries.
The US and the UK being among those. As well as some middle eastern countries I suppose.