• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wikileaks Hacktivists

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I expected this backlash following the attacks on WikiLeaks.

ZURICH: An anonymous group of hackers said Wednesday they had launched online attacks to shut down the websites of credit card Mastercard and a Swiss bank that cut off business ties with WikiLeaks.

The self-styled 'hacktivist' group dubbed Anon_Operation said in one tweet that "www.mastercard.com/ is down" and the site of the credit card giant could not be accessed from Geneva.

On their homepage the group, which claims it is fighting for "freedom on the internet" and against censorship designated mastercard.com as their "current target" in what was taking the proportions of cyber war.
Hackers target bank, credit card websites in WikiLeaks war - The Times of India

How far do you see these attacks going? This is the website of the group that is responsible for the attacks: http://anonops.net/

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I don't see these attacks going far at all. This has happened before (not related to Wikileaks) but I honestly think that this is nothing compared to what it could be.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Cyberattacks are probably not the best way of promoting your cause, unless your cause happens to be mischief. I see this leading nowhere at all.

fractal

They just took that website down! As expected, it's illegal to encourage people to attack a website.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
They just took that website down! As expected, it's illegal to encourage people to attack a website.
I think it was someone on the inside...I doubt many companies would suspend a web account on grounds of, and I quote, "furfaggotry".

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I think it was someone on the inside...I doubt many companies would suspend a web account on grounds of, and I quote, "furfaggotry".
:lol: So am I right in guessing this is all just Ebaumsworld up to their usual shenanigans?

fractal

Or maybe someone hacked the host and did that to the site. Why go through the effort of making an entire site and do that?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Or maybe someone hacked the host and did that to the site. Why go through the effort of making an entire site and do that?
It could be that. The alternative is that since someone released the web address, the people running it decided to go into "Nothing to see here" mode.

Wade8813

Registered Member
These guys are morons. Ignoring the fact that what they did is illegal, and ignoring the fact that they're hurting the general population more than the companies they're targeting (who cares more about a website being down - the bank, or the people who can't do their online banking?)...

These people claim to be supporting free speech, but what about a company's right to choose who they do business with? I can support your free speech and still decide that I don't like what you're saying and that it's bad business to associate with you. Mastercard and the Swiss bank aren't censoring anybody - they're not impinging on Wikileaks' free speech at all.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
This is just a conspiracy theory that I thought up. It may not be true but I am going to say it.

The media and the government is taking this way out of proportion. We all know that the government wants to regulate the internet, so what better way to do it than to pay wikileaks an X amount of dollars to leak so called classified information so that the government will have a stronger case to present to Congress to regulate the internet. I don't want to debate this, this is just my thought on this issue. Nuff said.