• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wii U Wii U Gamecube Controller Adapter (Official)

dDave

V.I.P.
I just saw this teased on IGN.

Wii U GameCube Controller Adapter - IGN Video

:) Aw yeah.

Obviously, not a lot of information here but I think it says all it needs to say. There will be a controller adapter and by the looks of it there will be a Smash Bros logo branded on an official Nintendo released gamecube controller in these modern times. I already have a nice set of gamecube controllers (white, indigo, orange, and black) but I don't see any way that I won't be getting this adapter when I get smash.

Brent

Registered Member
I saw that on Game Informer today. I'm all over that. Gamecube controls are the definitive way to play Smash Bros. and I've played them all, thousands of hours worth.

dDave

V.I.P.
I saw that on Game Informer today. I'm all over that. Gamecube controls are the definitive way to play Smash Bros. and I've played them all, thousands of hours worth.
You're not the only one. I've spent many many hours myself, especially on Melee and Brawl with friends.

I was resigned to the idea of using the pro controller to play the new Smash game but since this is now an option I don't see much of a point.

What's interesting about this is that it gives the Wii U everything it would technically need to play gamecube games. The Wii U has all the Wii software and plays wii games perfectly. The Wii really was just an over-clocked gamecube if you look at it from a purely technical standpoint. It looks to me as if this one accessory will give the Wii U everything it would need to play gamecube games.

Now, I know this gamecube controller accessory will pave the way for downloadable GC games via the VC but what about playing acutal gamecube discs? How hard would it be to make a memory card attachment? How about just virtualizing the memory card altogether?

Just some thoughts.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I personally think Nintendo makes some of the worst controllers. I was never a fan of Gamecube but if it allows GC games to appear on VC, then I'm all for it.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think the Gamecube controller is a great design and I sort of wish that Nintendo had kept it officially for the Wii and Wii U since day one.

It could have looked something like this.

I have one big concern for Nintendo. They just have so many controllers.

They're going to now officially have 4 control schemes for one console, that's unheard of.

-Wii U Gamepad
-Wii U Pro Controller
-Wii Remote
-Nintendo Gamecube Controller

Then if you think about stuff like the nunchuck, wii wheel, classic controller, etc. it all starts to pile up very quickly. I can see how a new person to Nintendo might be very confused by all of this.

I like it in a way because it makes the console very versatile but it looks weak when compared to the basically singular control schemes of the XBOX One and Playstation 4 I think. If I hadn't been following Nintendo all these years then I'd be sort of annoyed getting used to all of this and having to buy so many controllers. (I can't believe the Wii U console doesn't ship with a pro controller yet)

I think this gamecube adapter will allow for Nintendo to release gamecube titles without having to rework the control scheme, this is a good idea. I believe the plan from the beginning was to have N64 and GC titles on VC, they just take a lot longer to convert than NES and SNES titles.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Nintendo has announced how they're going to sell this...

There are 3 options related to the gamecube controller for Wii U

Option 1 ($100)
-Super Smash Bros U
-GameCube Controller Adapter
-Nintendo Gamecube Controller

Option 2 ($20)
-Gamecube Controller Adapter

Option 3 ($30)
-Gamecube Controller

The smash bros game itself will obviously retail for $60 by itself.

I'm probably going to go for the bundle when I do get this.