Wifi Help

Twitch

Registered Member
While down my beach house, like right now, my family shteals internet from the people across the street. The problem is it only works in certain spots, and if you move a few feet it goes away.

What I want to ask is, what do you need to set up wireless internet in a home? Just the router and the modem? Do you also need a certain jack in your house to plug in the router/modem?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
If one of your computers has a built in modem, then you only need a router. But a combination modem/router is what I go with. It's a linksys brand, and I like it a lot. The kind of hook up you would need would depend on whether you were going with DSL or cable. Your computers that you intend to use would also need wifi capabilities. My laptop came with it, but I had to get a wireless adapter for my PC.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The way its set up at my house is simple. Its a standard Telephone chord that goes from the wall to the Router. Then from there I can either plug in an Ethernet (cat-5) chord into a computer and have wired access, or my router sends out the Wifi signal and anything with a reciever picks it up (which is all of the laptops in my house).

Obviously you have to pay for the service though, I think most areas anymore its pretty cheap for a standard Wifi dsl internet. Something in the range of $15-$30 bucks here in California.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Most laptops nowadays comes with a built-in Wi-fi reciever, if you want one for your Desktop though i suggest Modem-router like Anita said, its 2 in one much more practical.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
or a cable jack if you go with cable internet instead.

My internet is cable. It's better than DSL and I heart it.
You will need an ethernet cable as well to connect a laptop directly to the modem/router for initial setup and any subsequent times you would have to do the initial set up again.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Right, you're probably going to want a combination modem & wireless router. That simply cuts down on the number of devices plugged in to the mains. As for what kind of modem/router, that will probably depend on what kind of internet connection you will be getting; cable or ADSL/DSL, so figure that one out before you go buying willy-nilly.

Next, check to see if all your laptops have built-in wifi capabilities (it should say in the documentation). For those that don't, you'll need to buy wireless ethernet PC Cards (or ExpressCards) to plug into them, provided, of course, that they have an expansion bay.

Connecting it all together is a different matter, but I think most modem/routers come with the required equipment and a guide. And, of course, if you still need help, there's always the Web.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
What I want to ask is, what do you need to set up wireless internet in a home? Just the router and the modem? Do you also need a certain jack in your house to plug in the router/modem?
all you need to set up a wireless internet at your house is to have a modem and a router, correct... and obviously the computers to connect to it. ;)

At my house we just use the phone line to get internet through (but it doesn't tie up the phone line so that's nice :)), it's definitely not the fastest method but it's fast enough to do pretty much whatever we want, so I'd get internet from quest or something.

Nick-Aotmzgin

Registered Member
Matrix ways.. >.< haha!
jk

well it goes 1st do you have any Cable exits.

if not do you use a router or a packed combained satellite..its dosent have to be big it can be small and placeable.

let it process reading and recive internet transmission if you do.