3ds Wi-Fi Success.

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2207229.stm
More than 200,000 gamers have used the Nintendo DS' free wi-fi service in its first three weeks.

Via the wireless service players can take on gamers nearby or around the world. Mario Kart DS is one of the games to use the wi-fi link.

The 200,000 unique users have logged more than three million connections during its opening days said Nintendo.

The DS went on sale in late 2004 in the US and Japan and Nintendo has sold more than 5m of the gadgets.
I have to say that it is great reading Nintendo's wifi service has been used so much. This is going to push developers to create MMORPGs for a handheld, and hopefully it will be nintendo. I say this because when you sell, people want to make for you. Its the exact reason Burnout did not make it to gamecube but did to the DS.

I was trying to think of other major online titles that will be hitting the DS. All I can think of right now is Metroid DS, which is looking gorgeous. So far there hasnt been any other major announcements. I hope that Metroid is not the only thing that I look forward to playing. Mario Party online would be an enjoyable game, but I have posted before, PSO would be wonderful.

Wrecked

Registered Member
nice, good job nintendo.

how does wi-fi work for the DS? is it built in or do you have to buy an adapter. and is there a way to use your own wireless router instead of finding a wi-fi hotspot?

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
Wifi is built in:nod: It is extremely easy to use and free. You can use a wireless router hotspot and it gives you a list of the compatible routers.
Or you can go to McDonalds. You can also use other hotspots as long as they do not require a web interface to connect.

If they do, or you do not have a wireless router, you can purchase a USB dongle to connect to the internet through a laptop or home computer. The donlge is 35 dollars and was at first announced an online only purchase. However, it is now in stores...hmmm I wonder if Ninty surprised themselves with how big of a success Nintendo Wifi was.:D

Wrecked

Registered Member
how far do wireless hotspots reach?

i have a Mc Dons across the street [ although i don't think they have wi-fi ] and a starbucks not that much further.

and is that "dongle" you speak of a nintendo product?

LaRazaUnida

Registered Member
Wrecked said:
how far do wireless hotspots reach?

i have a Mc Dons across the street [ although i don't think they have wi-fi ] and a starbucks not that much further.

and is that "dongle" you speak of a nintendo product?
The Dongle is a straight up Nintendo Product for those who do not have wireless routers or go into a hotspot that uses a web interface (you would plug the dongle into your laptop).

Actually, I was surprised by where it can reach. I can get any where in my house, and when I go to my gf's apartments I can access anyone who is living in the area. I think its kind of funny because some people have open spots and I just use theirs.

I am not intirely sure how far it reaches the McDonalds locations. I can test it out sometime though.

EDIT: The link to the wifi-adapter http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...694&lastAction=ProductDisplay&orderTotal=null

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Wow... thats a nice number of users in only 3 weeks.

It is extremly easy to use. a 5 year old could figure it out.