3ds Wi-Fi Success.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by LaRazaUnida, Dec 12, 2005.

1. LaRazaUnida

LaRazaUnida Registered Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2207229.stm
    I have to say that it is great reading Nintendo's wifi service has been used so much. This is going to push developers to create MMORPGs for a handheld, and hopefully it will be nintendo. I say this because when you sell, people want to make for you. Its the exact reason Burnout did not make it to gamecube but did to the DS.

I was trying to think of other major online titles that will be hitting the DS. All I can think of right now is Metroid DS, which is looking gorgeous. So far there hasnt been any other major announcements. I hope that Metroid is not the only thing that I look forward to playing. Mario Party online would be an enjoyable game, but I have posted before, PSO would be wonderful.

2. Wrecked

Wrecked Registered Member

nice, good job nintendo.

how does wi-fi work for the DS? is it built in or do you have to buy an adapter. and is there a way to use your own wireless router instead of finding a wi-fi hotspot?

3. LaRazaUnida

Wifi is built in:nod: It is extremely easy to use and free. You can use a wireless router hotspot and it gives you a list of the compatible routers.
    Or you can go to McDonalds. You can also use other hotspots as long as they do not require a web interface to connect.

If they do, or you do not have a wireless router, you can purchase a USB dongle to connect to the internet through a laptop or home computer. The donlge is 35 dollars and was at first announced an online only purchase. However, it is now in stores...hmmm I wonder if Ninty surprised themselves with how big of a success Nintendo Wifi was.:D

4. Wrecked

Wrecked Registered Member

how far do wireless hotspots reach?

i have a Mc Dons across the street [ although i don't think they have wi-fi ] and a starbucks not that much further.

and is that "dongle" you speak of a nintendo product?

5. LaRazaUnida

The Dongle is a straight up Nintendo Product for those who do not have wireless routers or go into a hotspot that uses a web interface (you would plug the dongle into your laptop).

Actually, I was surprised by where it can reach. I can get any where in my house, and when I go to my gf's apartments I can access anyone who is living in the area. I think its kind of funny because some people have open spots and I just use theirs.

I am not intirely sure how far it reaches the McDonalds locations. I can test it out sometime though.

EDIT: The link to the wifi-adapter http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...694&lastAction=ProductDisplay&orderTotal=null

6. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

Wow... thats a nice number of users in only 3 weeks.

It is extremly easy to use. a 5 year old could figure it out.

7. KannonMAK

KannonMAK Registered Member

i think that's the point.