Why the heck don't kids play outside, anymore?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I've been wondering about this lately. People might say due to the technology being so high, but I remember when I was growing up I had a Game Boy, Game Gear, Sega ect. But I was always playing with some neighbourhood kids: Street hockey, Basketball or Baseball. So yeah, has anyone else noticed this in their neighbourhoods?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Well where I live there really isnt a such thing as "neighborhood" kids :hah: But yeah I know what you're talking about. When I was younger I had the Gameboy and the NES and yet I still played more outside than my younger siblings did.

One thing that I can definitely say that I didnt do in comparison to other kids when I was younger was watch TV. I've never been big on TV Shows. One or Two throughout the week will usually keep me satisfied, but I usually just result in giving those up and getting the DVD's instead. When I was younger I vividly recall the other kids watching Simpsons every day. That kinda thing bored me, I mean dont get me wrong Simpsons back then was funny. But I enjoyed the outside world a whole lot more than being cooped up in the house in front of a TV.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I've been wondering about this lately. People might say due to the technology being so high, but I remember when I was growing up I had a Game Boy, Game Gear, Sega ect. But I was always playing with some neighbourhood kids: Street hockey, Basketball or Baseball. So yeah, has anyone else noticed this in their neighbourhoods?
Crime.
BETTER home comforts.
Children of yesteryear as parents now know of the dirt and danger all around.

Another factor is diet. Food now-a-days is very different, so people are not as active as they once were, especially Children.

The whole world is different now.

I guess the next generation of adults bring their Children up different.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
another factor is the technology.
kids are more individualists nowadays. they want to stay all day by themselves playing video games, checking out things on the internet or watching TV with any friend and all these are done at home.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
another factor is the technology.
kids are more individualists nowadays. they want to stay all day by themselves playing video games, checking out things on the internet or watching TV with any friend and all these are done at home.
It's definitely getting worse with the internet and video games. I've decided that when I'm a parent, my kids are going to play outside and do the same fun and creative stuff I got to do. Keeping them inside and hooked to computers and electronics is a huge disservice in my mind.

What about parents being afraid of their kids being abducted??

Bananas

Endangered Species
There are always kids playing outside my house. From about 4pm to dark and most of the weekend.

I also think its a bit of a myth that kids dont play outside any more or less than they used to. Its a part of our pessimistic degenerative self reflection on society. People always reminisse on how it used to be with an air of nostalgia and create this sense that it was "different" then when the reality is not a lot has changed.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
There are always kids playing outside my house. From about 4pm to dark and most of the weekend.

I also think its a bit of a myth that kids dont play outside any more or less than they used to. Its a part of our pessimistic degenerative self reflection on society. People always reminisse on how it used to be with an air of nostalgia and create this sense that it was "different" then when the reality is not a lot has changed.
but in this case, it's not just a myth. it is different for REAL. i don't have kids playing in my neighborhood. i have my 10 year old cousins who stay at home all day[if they have no school]. they'll be watching TV or dealing with internet.
there's a bit of nostalgia for our era, but it's not overrated.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
but in this case, it's not just a myth. it is different for REAL. i don't have kids playing in my neighborhood. i have my 10 year old cousins who stay at home all day[if they have no school]. they'll be watching TV or dealing with internet.
there's a bit of nostalgia for our era, but it's not overrated.
But is there any verifiable evidence that supports this? Because when it comes to your childhood, you usually remember it as better than it actually was. The term "nostalgia goggles" exists for a reason...

I only see it as a problem if a lack of fitness results from it. Otherwise, the next generation is spending their spare time in different ways. Doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. I mean, hell, who knows? Maybe in the future, going outside to play will be seen by society as weird, in the same way many people today see staying indoors to play as weird.

Bananas

Endangered Species
but in this case, it's not just a myth. it is different for REAL. i don't have kids playing in my neighborhood. i have my 10 year old cousins who stay at home all day[if they have no school].
...and I have cousins, neices and nephews who are out playing every evening. One child is not a reflection of society in general. Untill someone can do a comparative study of childhood through the decades there is nothing to suggest the thread title to be real. It is one of these things that we assume to be true because from our own childhoods we mostly remember the outdoor adventures, yet as adults it is the opposite; we mostly observe the present. In other words if a kid is at home we see them and highlight that fact, if a kid is outside, unless we are outside with them then it does not register. We see the world through our eyes only.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
.One child is not a reflection of society in general. Untill someone can do a comparative study of childhood through the decades there is nothing to suggest the thread title to be real. It is one of these things that we assume to be true because from our own childhoods we mostly remember the outdoor adventures, yet as adults it is the opposite; we mostly observe the present. In other words if a kid is at home we see them and highlight that fact, if a kid is outside, unless we are outside with them then it does not register. We see the world through our eyes only.
you did it first by saing:
you made it sound like just because there are kids playing outside your house, then what we're talking about is a myth.
and my post had a hidden meaning of what you're saying now : just because we have certain people doing it, doesn't mean all do the same.

but one thing's for sure. regarding this issue, times have changed. children have changed.
this thread says it all.