Why should I not own guns?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I own what most of you consider "big black and scary" style guns. I own various long guns, three of which are purely semi-automatic which would have been illegal under Clinton's Brady Ban. Tell me why I should not own these, or why anyone who is law abiding does not need these. Gun control advocates say we don't need these guns... well please explain why don't I need them.

I own various handguns, most of which I have brought along with me legally at one time or another. I have been checked, double checked, fingerprinted, and even taken a gun safety class voluntarily. I've gone thru everything I need to do and then some to make sure I am capable and legally allowed to carry a gun on my person in public. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't. Why should I have to be defenseless while criminals run amuck with guns and a complete disregard for gun laws.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The answer you will get is "You can still defend yourself with much less of a gun".

To which I would respond, but if you are a law abiding citizen set out to defend yourself then shouldn't you be able to do so with whatever legal option you have?

Sure semi-automatics can kill faster but if you ever need to defend yourself against one it would be nice to have an equal advantage.

Others will say "Semi-automatics aren't as accurate so you are better off without one."

To which I would say "Well to each his own. They are legal so everybody can choose for themselves what they want to keep in their house. There's a reason criminals aren't running around with revolvers."

I think the big issue is that people assume that everybody with a gun has a good chance of going crazy and going on a shooting rampage. That's just as ridiculous of an assumption as to say that everybody who is a black belt or highly trained martial artist will be a danger to society.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've lived for almost 26 years now and not once have I ever needed a gun. If you're that worried about your safety then you might as well sit on your fucking toilet for the rest of your life, because surely nothing can happen to you there.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've lived for almost 26 years now and not once have I ever needed a gun. If you're that worried about your safety then you might as well sit on your fucking toilet for the rest of your life, because surely nothing can happen to you there.
And the award for unnecessary hostility of the day goes to . . .

Echoes, the "well it's never happened to me argument" is not a workable one. It's like discussing cigarettes and arguing that they're perfectly safe because you've smoked them for fifty years without health issues (which happens). I could see the want to own a gun, especially if you live in a neighborhood with a high crime rate (especially robbery).

But I'm afraid I fall into the same crowd that doesn't believe people need big-assed guns to protect themselves. I'll be honest, I would own a handgun or a pistol, I just wouldn't see the need in owning a machine gun of sorts.

Also, Hybrix, how do semi-autos kill faster? Is it because they fire bullets quicker? That doesn't seem to make much sense because anyone with a week's weapons training could kill in a few shots from a pistol.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
And the award for unnecessary hostility of the day goes to . . .

Echoes, the "well it's never happened to me argument" is not a workable one. It's like discussing cigarettes and arguing that they're perfectly safe because you've smoked them for fifty years without health issues (which happens). I could see the want to own a gun, especially if you live in a neighborhood with a high crime rate (especially robbery).
Heh. I just don't see why this thread was necessary. If people want to own guns, then fine, that's their choice. I was just explaining why I don't own one and why I don't need one. I don't like how the original post was worded. It's saying that everybody needs a gun, and I just disagree with that.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Heh. I just don't see why this thread was necessary. If people want to own guns, then fine, that's their choice. I was just explaining why I don't own one and why I don't need one. I don't like how the original post was worded. It's saying that everybody needs a gun, and I just disagree with that.
I don't think that's what he was suggesting Echoes. I think you've misinterpreted the post. He was asking why law abiding citizens "don't need them" not in the sense of saying that we should all own them, but rather as a question to people who say that you don't need those guns.

I live just outside one of the scariest cities in the U.S. and I've never felt the need to own a gun, especially when I see news reports of all the idiots in the city leaving the guns lying around for the kids to find.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think that's what he was suggesting Echoes. I think you've misinterpreted the post. He was asking why law abiding citizens "don't need them" not in the sense of saying that we should all own them, but rather as a question to people who say that you don't need those guns.
Tell me why I should not own these, or why anyone who is law abiding does not need these. Gun control advocates say we don't need these guns... well please explain why don't I need them.
To me, his post was suggesting that everybody needs to own a gun, which means that he thinks everybody should own one.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some people will argue that having a gun in your home isn't worth it anyway because in order to be responsible you'd have it locked up in a safe of some sort. If somebody broke in you wouldn't have the gun on you, necessarily. But who says you wouldn't have time to get to it? Aside from a direct confrontation you'd probably be able to get to your safe.

Out of over 300 million Americans, 2 in 5 live in gun owning homes. Some polls show around 21.6%. A Gallup poll I just read shows that 38% of Americans said they own guns.

Out of those who own guns, 62% said then own more than one gun. 29% said they have 5 or more.

Regardless of whether or not you think guns should be legal or not, with an estimated 200 million privately owned firearms, what are the chances of the would be killers turning their guns in? I don't even think that all of the law abiding citizens would. Some gun owners are very adamant about the 2nd amendment and would not necessarily just hand over their guns if they were banned.

With 200 million privately owned guns, banning guns wouldn't get to the root of the problem, which is guns falling into the wrong hands. I'm all for making background checks so much more rigorous than they already are.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I can understand owning some guns. I don't understand why one would need 50 fully automatic ones. Are you intending on fighting a rebellion?

You only have two hands...Odds are if you are drawing a gun against someone you are going to win or lose. If you lose then the other 49 guns arent going to help you. If you win I dont think you would have much time to transition to 49 other guns...

If RPG launchers were legal would you buy one of those??

I don't see the necessitity in a lucrative amount of "defending" machines 1.

1 Note how I didnt say "killing" machines...