why ppl make mysterious auctions?

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by alapimba, May 29, 2005.

1. alapimba

alapimba Registered Member

My questions is probably a bit stupid but why ppl make this kind of auctions? They lie when giving clues and then make big money? because if what they say is all true they allways loose money.. no? Can anyone explain that to me? :S

2. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

Its probably happened both ways. Where the bidder makes out or the bidder loses big.

Its all been overdone, I never did one, but there have been probably millions of them. Some have been quite interesting though, and NOT rippoffs... alot of the good ones have been posted here.

3. alapimba

i understand that but who would make an auction where they know they will loose big money? where is the point? it's excentric rich ppl that like to give money?

4. TGirl

TGirl Registered Member

I do mystery auctions....a lot of my stuff is of great value and some even greater value....the stuff I aquire though for my auctions are either given to me, (donated) for my cause or I have purchased them some time ago and now raising the money is more important....I have only lost out on one...and maybe the one I have ending today.....but I have always received VERY positive feedback on my auctions...I would never rip anyone off...nor do I want the neg feedback...for me it has been a win win situation....

I guess it just depends on where you aquire your mystery stuff...or how much you paid for it!!

now the cash auctions...I just don't understand...not both can come out winners..........

5. alapimba

humm.. but in one of yoru auctions you put money inside the stuff animals, right? ( i didn't read to the end..)

6. Julie

Julie Registered Member

I've done one mystery auction so far. I used to pile up the shelves in my closet with items that ended with no bids & after a couple months have a yard sale. This last time, I still piled it all up in the closet...but instead of another yard sale I did a mystery auction. It wasn't high-profile or anything, but it got what I felt were a lot of hits, had quite a few watchers. I was happy with what it ended for. I made my money back & the items in the box were definitely worth what the buyer paid. He not only left very Positive FB, but also emailed me letting me know how happy he was with it.

7. Mina

Mina Registered Member

I have done one and had alot of fun with it. Yes I lost out, would have made more selling the items sepretly, but the winner got a good deal and I had fun. The items that were in the mystery auction had already been replaced so it wasn't a big deal.

The winner was someone on this board, and has told me that he is quite happy with what he won.

8. Julie

Julie Registered Member

Yeah, I must admit...mine was fun too. I didn't make as much as I would have with a yard sale...but those always wear me out. And the excitement of my first mystery auction just couldn't be replaced.

Oh, your winner... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...he's off watching Nascar. I think he's in the Break Room :lol:

9. doubles2004

doubles2004 Registered Member

Yes it was Mina. It was great. I had fun and i didnt loose money buying it. Even though it was worth more than what you made on it.

10. lilys_things

lilys_things Registered Member

I have a problem with my toast and mystery auction. My dog ate part of Guerrero's head on the piece of toast. He climbed up on the table where I had it and took a bite out of it. What should I do, since I have no bids?