Why People Are Scared to Talk About Religion And Express Their Belief Openly?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by IntheNet, Jun 1, 2006.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

Let's hear your thoughts on why people are scared to talk about religion, and why when religion or faith is discussed why it is excluded or discriminated against? Post your first-hand experiences of discrimination and bias by those of the secular agenda....

2. merob

merob Boom!

It's in to be an atheist online. A large portion of the internet community laugh at religion, openly.
    Getting deep, I've noticed a lot of people began to associate religion with ignorance. Intellegence is the key to getting respect online - a lot of people seek respect from an online community. Naturally a lot of folks become ashamed of their religion.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

Thanks for your reply Luc... appreciate your opinion... I personally think the secular agenda causes many to actually hate religious people of all faiths and they actively discriminate against them and persecuate them... it is almost a Civil Rights crusade today to be allowed to openly state and express your faith amid so many that deny it.

4. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

People don't want you to try and convert them at every discussion. It doesn't work. It generally makes them not want to join your religion more for that fact.

That being said, i never shy away from stating I am Christian, or from using Christianity as basis for my opinion. But I also use credible sources to back me up, and not just bible passages or christian sites (Yes, I know the two aren't mutually exclusive).

5. merob

merob Boom!

I hear a lot of complaints about being pressured to convert into christianity (i'm not talking about online generally). I've rarely witnessed any of these cases. The average christian seems pretty humble. However I live in NYC. everyone basically keeps to themselves, and most religious outlooks are respected. Maybe things are different where I'm located : \

6. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

Re: Why People Are Scared to Talk About Religion And Express Their Belief Openly

I don't think I've had any experience with people being afraid to talk about religion and express their beliefs openly... People may have different beliefs, or no beliefs, but generally they're pretty willing to talk about their beliefs. I think when people state their belief as the One True Belief, that's when things start to get ugly... because obviously, if the belief conflicts with other people's beliefs, they're going to disagree and take offense that you are not respecting their belief as being valid. People also get frustrated when someone tries to convert them, as in the case of door to door religion people or people who insist that their religion is correct and you should believe it too or you're going to hell. I think a lot of people are associating religion with unintelligence because in many many cases the religious people are unable to back themselves up with anything besides "It says so in the bible" and even then not even always able to show where it says so in the bible. If you can't back up your belief, it shows an ignorance that you still believe in it, and this is an ignorance which many (but not all) strongly religious people have.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Re: Why People Are Scared to Talk About Religion And Express Their Belief Openly

I do not fear religious speak . . . I fear the overly devout zealots that go nuts on other people because they don't believe. I heartily enjoy discussing religion, I'm takin a course or two on religious philosophy next semester and I find it interesting. It's no fun when you're trying to debate with someone who has a bible up their ass and a cross burned into their eyes.

8. i'd be one of those online atheist, but im the same in person, i have no problem laughing at religion in person or online, i just choose not to believe

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The problem, IntheNet, is that you know that we all have no problem discussing and disagreeing with your beliefs, you're trying to translate that into a fear of God, which is unfair. You've got that "God" complex that many like you have. You pass judgement wrongly and think that you're something better than everyone.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

Hey can we all create alias identities on this board?

Insofar as your point, when did I ever try to recruit? When did I say I better than everyone? Cite sources please... Although I might mention my faith and use it to explain a point, I don't believe I ever tried to recruit and/or mention anything like I am better. God complex? Sorry... that too is wrong.

I do notice, however, that some of those on this board have a real problem with religious tolerance!