• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why is it trendy to trash Nickelback's music?

Shwa

V.I.P.
Ok, so I'm one of probably a few majority that actually enjoy's Nickelback's music, I have ever since listening to them on the bus radio going to school and still to this day. Can someone explain to me why they're considered a horrible or 'soft' band?

They've come out with some amazing hits for the past decade, yet its a staple to just trash them left and right. Did I miss something that happened or is it just a trolling thing that just kept going?

Cause I'm confused @[email protected]

~Shwa

Last edited by a moderator:

dDave

V.I.P.
To me all of their songs sound relatively the same. They have like 3 sounds. Of course, everyone hears differently.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
People make fun of them because they basically have kept the same sound pretty much since they started out.

But a lot of people are hypocrites because Nickelback sells out football stadiums when they come through town. So who's buying the tickets? Seems like quite a few people. It takes a lot to sell those kinds of ticket numbers. Many bands don't come close to a multiple decade career playing in stadiums. So I wouldn't worry too much about Nickelback. They seem to have some seriously dedicated fans, even if they are all closet fans. I mean, somebody's paying to keep the lights on at those concerts—even if nobody's willing to admit it's them. 😂

Shwa

V.I.P.
People make fun of them because they basically have kept the same sound pretty much since they started out.

But a lot of people are hypocrites because Nickelback sells out football stadiums when they come through town. So who's buying the tickets? Seems like quite a few people. It takes a lot to sell those kinds of ticket numbers. Many bands don't come close to a multiple decade career playing in stadiums. So I wouldn't worry too much about Nickelback. They seem to have some seriously dedicated fans, even if they are all closet fans. I mean, somebody's paying to keep the lights on at those concerts—even if nobody's willing to admit it's them. 😂
Oh yeah, like I said I'm a fan and would love to go see them in concert before I die/in this lifetime for sure. I understand how some people critique about artists/groups never switching their style/sound, but then the other side of the sword is that if they do then they're "lost their way" or "sold out their style." Its confusing to me for sure, there's hardly a middle ground so its really damned if you do or damned if you don't.

I like when artists switch styles, such as P!nk (going from R&B to pop), but also enjoy when they stay the same, such as Missy Elliot and Nickelback.

~Shwa

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I’m not a big fan of Nickleback, but I find it funny how it “cool” to hate them. They never really progressed as they went along, but they aren’t a bad band.

Impaired

Registered Member

They suck, mostly.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I liked a handful of their songs back in the day. And I won't immediately turn them off if they come on nowadays. I think they just got stale after awhile. Everything sounded the same and you heard it EVERYWHERE. The hate was a little odd though, there are much worse bands out there. I am guilty of joining in on the jokes, even though I never actually hated them. Haha.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Hearda podcast that said when they came to town the singer would go to the record stores and demand all of the Nickleback CDs be put up front.
He would sometimes personally move the CDs and setup displays and posters regardless of what the workers said.
Just thought that was an unusual story.