Why is Christianity losing influence?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by padd, Dec 6, 2008.

1. padd

padd Registered Member

It's no secret, but why? Why is Christianity loosing infleuence on the world. Fire away..

for starters: Why does the world's leading religion only have one republic state under it's name, safe the tiny Vatican?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Only if you exclude state-sponsored churches.

Some of the largest non-state organizations in the world are Christian.

Also, is Christianity losing influence? Not really, its power has declined in Europe but is gaining in America, South America, and especially Africa.

3. padd

padd Registered Member

would you know them off the top of your head? just curious. I know that the majority of the world's countries are secular states, next in line are the Islamist republics.. more/less 10 country's. Argentina and The Vatican are the only 2 countries in the world who are run by Christian government. 50 years ago in Canada to say the least.. The Church WAS the government.

Again I don't have the stats to prove it but right now but I heard the fastest growing religion in Europe and North America is Islam.

4. Kazmarov

But these nations aren't all that large or powerful. Most of the powerful states are secular, and used to be Christian- and still in many ways have the functioning of a Christian state.

You seem obsessed with explicit mentions. All 44 US Presidents have been Christian. So has every British prime minister and every British monarch.
    That may be in terms of percentage- most Europeans either belong to the state church or have no religious affiliation.

padd likes this.
  5. padd

padd Registered Member

On a much more smaller scale, Atheists exist. You see it everyday on this forum. 50 years ago atheists didn't exist. I'll make an assumption that about 9/10's of every atheist/agnostic/wican.. or whatever non religious folk these days would like to call themselves.. have been baptised a Christian.

6. Kazmarov

Wrong. Besides there being several large atheistic faiths (Buddhism the most prominent), atheists have always existed.

Also, a large amount of people aren't baptised- a large portion of Europeans in particular don't attend services (the number is in the teens in France, for example).

7. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

In the UK in particular the Church is a failure of its own success.

The CoE in no uncertain terms threw out the rule book and basically said to be a good Christian! you dont have to pray everyday, you dont have to attend church, you dont have to read the bible, you just have to be a good person. The Church has its 10 commandments, stick to them and you will be alright, everything else is your liberty.

You dont even have to believe in God anymore since the CoE embrasses secularism. What were once sins of the church have now become lifestyle choices. We are all universal to the church so how can we be treated or judged differently.

The main thing to remember that even once all the praying and preaching has been removed the moral propositions of the church is still very much the blueprint and standard of society. It would take a very very longtime to remove Christianity from society even if you burnt all the churches and banned its practice, its mark on us(the west) is deep and far. For example I do not consider myself a Christian but I know my children will have a Christian upbringing, just like I did from my secular parent. In a sense Christianity is stronger than ever if the Christian message is to be free, be good & be happy.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I don't think they're losing influence but if you're referring to the domination they had in the previous centuries, they're more separated from the government (whereas before they are part of the government).

Several governments, though not self-proclaimed as Christian governments, are still headed by someone who is a Christian.

Atheists aren't a new breed. If you're talking about meeting more atheists (individuals) these days than in the past, like it's a very common thing, it probably has something to do with their being more vocal about their beliefs without the fear of being persecuted like before (treated as outcasts, heretics, state enemy, stoned, burned, killed).

9. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Peoples needs have changed, we live in a world where things quite often don't make sense and people accept that. We've stopped looking for that "master plan" and just started to accept things at face value. Also the thought of a finite end to our existence is no longer scary. Not to me anyway.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

:jawdrop::spin::shocked::spin::cry2::spin::eyepop::spin::dizzy::spin::bomb:

Are you suggesting we are mere mortals? Dont know about you but after this life Im going places:lick:.

probably hell!:cry:

Altanzitarron likes this.