• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why I love/hate winter.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have both feelings for winter.

I love it because there are no ticks, spiders or snakes to step on when I go out, not to mention low humidity. Its really my favorite time to go hiking in the woods if its not really cold. You can see farther, the underbrush is dead or dormant. I love that. Still the old growth of briars has thorns on them. One biggie is you don't have to mow the lawn. That I really love plus your not out sweating your butt off in the veggie garden.

What I hate about it is waking up to below 0F temperatures sometimes. Making sure the horses have water, busting ice, and having to feed them so much. I also hate that if it gets cold enough and the electric goes off the pipes can freeze and the pump. If we get much freezing rain the electric can be off for days. If it snows a lot it can be around forever. Certain places on the highway never get sun in the winter so it has to be well above freezing for days for that to go away.

What about you?

dDave

V.I.P.
We don't really have the power going out that much where I live, even when we do get really bad snow.

The most annoying this about winter for me is the fact that mud and dirt seem to get tracked EVERYWHERE. The cars are always really dirty, tile floors are really dirty, shoes get wet and muddy, etc.

I don't mind the cold temperatures at all and I certainly don't mind the snow. I like driving in the snow, I also like looking at it.

When we do get a winter storm my internet connection, though it usually still works, becomes incredibly slow.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I don't live in snakeville or bugville, so the only bugs that I am glad to see go are skeeters, and they are usually only a problem in the late spring. When winter shakes it's snowy head, the air gets dry, and indoor heating dries it more, there are so many ice patches to watch out for because in Canada nobody can keep up with the snow and ice on a consistent basis. It's cold (I hate the cold) and my muscles are always sore from either hunching in the cold or wearing a ton of winter clothing. Then there's shoveling sidewalks and watching people spin their wheels on the way to work. Returning from work a little after 3 in the afternoon, the sky is already getting dark. Then comes late November, and the Christmas carols and advertising that will run until boxing day and likely beyond.

I must admit, there are those rare winter nights where there is no wind and the trees are decorated with hoarfrost and there's a peaceful stillness in the air. I like those moments, but they don't justify all the inconvenience in my opinion. I'd rather winter be reduced by 2 months and summer extended by 2, or maybe one and shoot a couple weeks each to Spring and Fall. :)

- Cham

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I only hate cold winds and have to stay in the cabin too much at camp if it snows but we left the cabin anyway and found a hibernating armadillo. But it woke up when somebody found it and totally freaked! Epic lulz!
Oh and I hate that I cant grow stuff like peppers and all the trees hibernate.

But mostly I like winter as much as I like summer. Theres no Halloween or New Years or Christmas in the summer and you cant build stuff with snow or have snow wars. And yeah you do have to shovel snow but that can be used for snow stuff too so thats really cool. And ice skates and sleds.

Also theres generators here too so I can recharge stuff like my tablet, my media player, camera, and Nintendo 3DS XL if theres a power fail. And our house is gas heated so no issues about that. And I have a battery powered panel that lights up my whole room.
Whats really cool is the ice storms!

So yeah mostly I like summer but winters really cool too.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I forgot about the wind, when the wind is blowing hard it makes it seem much colder than what it really is. Also makes it hard to stay warm even when I have my coveralls on and my head covered up. Really hate that.

If the electric goes off I have gas heat so I don't freeze but I don't have a generator to keep the pump from freezing. Also I have no internet or TV. Boring.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I am definitely a winter person, so there isn't much I hate about winter.

What I love about winter first and foremost is the same as Hilander, no spiders. I have an irrational fear of spiders, so I love when they are "out of season". The second big thing I love about winter is the cooler nights are good to sleep in. We typically don't have air conditioning in majority of South African homes, so summer is unbearable and I just can't sleep in the sweltering heat. Where in winter I can cuddle up and sleep like a baby.

I wouldn't say I hate this about winter, but I do miss having rain during the winters. About the only thing I love about summer is rain and storms. If we had rain in winter, (like they do in the Western Cape), I could do winter all year long!!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We got 9 inches of snow Sunday night and into Monday then we got another 3 inches last night, more in the forecast for Friday along with freezing rain. In the morning they are calling for a low of -5F so it will be at least -10F in this valley I live in. Already been below zero this week.

This is the part of winter I hate, getting sick of it. If we get much freezing rain I'll be lucky if my electric doesn't go off. If I'm not around you'll know what happened.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I tolerate winter the same way that I tolerate summer. Generally its not too bad, but the days where it gets down to -30C and colder, suck. Like today :lol:. When winter first starts, its kind of neat. Its always quieter while its snowing because the snow absorbs so much sound. Its peaceful almost. By this time of the year though, I'm done with winter. I'm happy to see it go haha. I'm tired of the cold, I'm tired of seeing just white everywhere, and I'm tired of slipping on ice all the time. Only another month and a half to go, sigh.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I tolerate winter the same way that I tolerate summer. Generally its not too bad, but the days where it gets down to -30C and colder, suck. Like today :lol:. When winter first starts, its kind of neat. Its always quieter while its snowing because the snow absorbs so much sound. Its peaceful almost. By this time of the year though, I'm done with winter. I'm happy to see it go haha. I'm tired of the cold, I'm tired of seeing just white everywhere, and I'm tired of slipping on ice all the time. Only another month and a half to go, sigh.
Dang that is cold, I don't see how you stand it. Sometimes it gets down to -24C or so here in this valley I live in but not too often. Bet it happens there a lot. I'm afraid that in the morning it will be about that.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oh God, this morning we had a low of -23F. That's the coldest its ever been here. Be glad when the sun come over the hill and the wind starts blowing this cold air out of here. I'm sure its not that cold when you get out of this valley.