• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Why I love Futurama.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Yep, this is a topic all about how much I love Futurama (and need poker chips).

First off, you can always draw the Simpson comparisons and say that other cartoons are better. I disagree. The animation style and humor are far more advance than anything that The Simpsons have done in over a decade. Why, you ask? That's because Greoning doesn't have much more to do with The Simpsons anymore other than his name is attached to it.

First off, there's the animation style. It's made on a computer, but it still retains that hand-drawn look to it, but also has the 3D fluidity. They pull of three-dimensional scenes very well, and I enjoy that.

Secondly, the characters and their development. Greoning has created a vast world of very unique characters, and doesn't have to follow the limits of them being real people. Mr. H.G. Blob, for instance, is an awesome side character. There's also the "holiday season bots" and robots in general that make the show more entertaining to watch. It has depth, people. Throughout the life of the show, there's some very deep storylines that actually form a half decent continuity, making you want to watch the episodes in between. The newer ones always refer to the old ones, and they even use plot elements and story features to create new stories later on in the episodes, and even in the new movie.

And, third, the writing. I, to this day, have not watched any better written cartoon in my life. The Simpsons doesn't have any viable storylines, Family Guy was written by a retard in a Cap'n Crunch hat, and South Park is boring and preachy. Futurama always seem to stay fresh to me, even until this day, and it'll be a very long time before anything can knock it off of the perch, if ever. The jokes can stand the test of time, and I will stick to that statement. They were written to cover a thousand year span, so why wouldn't Al Gore's head flying around in space and taking out a Death Star's "Achilles vent" be funny in 20 years?

neum985

I pwn noobs
I agree with everything except the family guy diss. Family guys creator Seth Green is brilliant and as much as i love futureroma i think family guy is a more entertaining show. they are #2 and #3 in my favorite cartoons (behind Inuyasha) So i just think you should watch some family guy its fucking sweet

Doc

V.I.P.
Seth Green
No. It's Seth McFarlane. Seth Green is the voice of Chris, and an excellent comedy actor.

I didn't diss Seth McFarlane, though, did I? He's a good guy, hell of a funny voice, and very creative. The problem with Family Guy is that Seth doesn't have enough to do with the show now, and he's split between that and American Dad. That translates into the network having to hire writers, and therefore changing the shows to suit their vision for the show, and not Seth's. If American Dad didn't exist, Family Guy would own all. Also, I never said that I didn't like Family Guy; I've always liked Family Guy, I just think that Futurama has more to offer intellectually.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Futurama is my favorite cartoon, too, but I love the older Simpsons episodes and I disagree that they don't have any viable storylines. People have short memories, so all they think of are the last 6-8 seasons, which have been terrible. But you can't forget how great the first 8 or 9 seasons were.

I love the diversity of the characters in Futurama. Fry, Bender, the Professor, and Zoidberg are all hilarious, and that's where I think Futurama beats the Simpsons. Homer was the only main character that I liked. Bart was alright, but Marge and Lisa were just annoying. Both shows have tons of great side characters. Simpsons probably has the edge there though.

neum985

I pwn noobs
Yep, this is a topic all about how much I love Futurama (and need poker chips).

Family Guy was written by a retard in a Cap'n Crunch hat

Yeah you did diss him but i was watching a punk'd episode with Green in it that must've been why i typed that.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
I love Futurama... great show. It's a different sort of humor than shows like Family Guy, Simpsons, or South Park, so I think it's kind of hard to compare. It's more advanced, subtle, and is more plot driven. There are actually some episodes where they touch on some pretty serious stuff (like the one about Fry's dog), which while hilarious throughout are still not entirely lighthearted. That being said, I like the other shows too, but I think they serve different purposes and are to be watched in different moods.

Doc

V.I.P.
I was referring to the writers, not Seth. Seth doesn't write as much of the shows as he used to, and I cleared that up once already.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Yeah Futurama really is great, I agree with you steve there is definitely a strong sense of continuity, the story was more of a progression rather than just random adventures each week. Family Guy is tiresome, yeah it makes me laugh for its shock value etc but it's almost too random. I do like south park though and in that family guy parody episode cartman summed family guy up for me really.

Kyle: You son of a bitch I wont let you do this.
Cartman: Yes Kyle thats good, real emotion based on whats happening in the story.... nothing like family guy
And I also credit south park for also make fun of themselves in that episode by saying 'atleast family guy doesn't get all preachy and up its own ass with messages'.

But anyway back to futurama, Yeah I love it and can't wait to see these dvd features that are coming out.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There are actually some episodes where they touch on some pretty serious stuff (like the one about Fry's dog), which while hilarious throughout are still not entirely lighthearted.
Man, that episode about the dog was awesome. I almost cried at the end. "Luck of the Fryrish" is another good one like that.

Doc

V.I.P.
I did come out with a few tears near the end of that one, actually. "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings" is another one, since it's the last one to touch on Fry and Leela.