Why has the game changed so much?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't know about you, but when I look at video clips of players playing baseball in the 1910-1940 it seems that they enjoyed the game more then they do today. Don't get me wrong, I still believe that players today enjoy the game, but there's so many issues involve, money being the main priority.

I know that Babe Ruth didnt want to play the game if he didn't get the money he thought he deserved, but it's so much worst today then it was back in the day.

Also it seemed that they played baseball the right way back then, I know it's hard to determine whats the right away, and it's hard for me to explaing this, but I just believe that baseball back in the 1910-1940 seemed more enjoyable then what it is today.

Maybe one of the reasons is because some of the greatest players of all time played during that time, like Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Johnson, Mathewson, Young and so many, many more.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

2. Tyrus4189Cobb

Tyrus4189Cobb New Member

I agree with you. Money is a big issue, but I think another thing is lifestyle.

In the U.S. pre-WWII, the average American had a lot to day in a day without sophisticated technology. The laborous days, especially during the Depression, would take a toll. Complicated things were not needed for leisure. Baseball was a perfect way to escape thte daily workings. It took people's minds off the world and let them focus on something as simple as hitting a ball with a bat.

That is why players enjoyed it more. They too were once children who had long days. None of them grew up in luxury. Most of the players were farmboys. They were grateful to lead a life by playing somehting they loved, rather than farm (which was not easy back then considereing the lack of technology).

Players today take it all for granted. I'm sure they appreciate being in the majors when they first get there, but soon they're doing the foolish high-fives and what not. Then they demand millions. They take advantage of the club. If every team refused player X high salaries I'm sure that would straighten them out...

The point is that pre-WWII players could appreciate the game for what it wasand the fact that they got to escape such a hard lifestyle.

3. TheMadDog31

TheMadDog31 New Member

I have been around baseball for quite some time, and I completely agree. Even when the Phillies won the World Series, Brad Lidge was the only one that looked genuinely happy. Everyone else just looked...well...a little excited.

When I went to Yankee Stadium in the 1950s, it always seemed like Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra were almost like little kids. They were always so happy to be on the diamond, and they always played with all their heart. Even when Mantle was injured.

Players today, unfortunately, don't seem to have nearly as much passion as guys from the early days. Money has a part in it, but it just doesn't even seem like they care about playing. They play, but they don't play. And it really is very sad, because I miss that part of the game.

4. SHOELESSJOE3

SHOELESSJOE3 Registered Member

The biggest change to me, over many years of watching baseball goes along with some of the previous posts. It seems more busine$$ like, not so much the game it once was. We had the unthinkable happen in 1994, a strike that cancelled the 1994 World Series. Now there is certainly two sides to any story, it's not only the players it's also the owners. The shame is that both sides can't agree on how to have headed this off. How is it that with baseball bringing in so much revenue, they can't come to terms, the fans denied the World Series.
    Some lay most of the blame on the owners for many of the problems in the game, I don't there is greed on both sides.
    Money is the reason we have World Series being played in almost winter conditions, players wearing winter head gear, in baseball. The money part is the owners will not go for a shorter season or doubleheaders. The players may go with the shorter season but are not to crazy about double headers.The season is too long, something has to be done, baseball is not a cold weather sport.
    As pointed out by anothe poster, players from way back were thankful for their position. They were not paid much and many worked jobs in the off season, most in sales, cars and other products.

Changes on the field, the old game is gone. Players know at contract time, the way the game is now played that their big chips on the bargaining table come down to RBI numbers, home run numbers in many cases. What ever happened to the drag bunt, the safety squeeze bunt with the runner on third a high percentage way of scoring, I think we did see at that at least one time in post season. I can remember players like Jackie Robinson and Billy Martin, when on third base darting up and down the line, making the pitcher be concerend with not only the batter but the guy on base.

What ever happened to common sense baseball, knowing when to take the first pitch. We saw that in the last WS game. Eighth inning and I'm watching Tampa lead off with Carl Crawford. I know the Rays are praying for Carl the speed demon to get on. He singles and Upton swings at the first pitch, hits into a DP.
    Where is the source on this one. Years ago in this type of situation the manager tells the coach to signal the batter, take a pitch, maybe two give Carl a chance to steal. That was years ago when the manager was more like the boss. The feeling I get today is some managers have lost the hold on the team. It's more like he is like one of them with of course the one who makes the final decisions.

I love the home run but it's so common now it lost something. Now I love seeing more "small ball" more strategy involved, the way it once was.

I still love the game but I'm not too thrilled about some of the changes that took place.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008