• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know this article is over a year old, but a co-worker just showed it to me and I found it rather interesting. It's a long read, but a good one. I'm skeptical on some of the things are said, and I don't know much how much of it I believe. Just curious to know what your thoughts are.

Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
It is true, but it is also false.

If done properly, then exercise will help you lose weight. However, IMO exercise is about 20% of losing weight, while 80% of it is what you consume. I can exercise all I want without changing eating habits and not lose a thing...but if I start eating healthy without exercising, then weight just comes off with ease.

Of course, if you can combine eating healthy and exercising, then both would do a body good.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yeah I'm the same way as AK.

I lose more weight just by correcting bad eating habits I let myself slip into from time to time. Regardless of how much exercise I get, the Eating tends to be the biggest contribution to whether or not I lose weight.

I'd say thats probably accurate at my body fat %. Maybe not for everyone else though.

Impact

V.I.P.
So, the article is kinda saying that people who exercise counteract the exercise by overindulging with unhealthy foods after a workout? Surely if you replace the unhealthy food, with a healthy snack then the exercise is still going to help you lose weight

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Really interesting read, thanks for posting it Biz.

My goal for this year is to hopefully improve what I eat; the article makes me feel a little better about the extra weight I've put on in the last year and knowing that the solution lies as much as (or more) in that than it does in being a gym rat.

BigBob

Registered Member
It depends on your size as well.

Whenever I was in middle school, I started turning into an obese kid but I didn't eat a whole lot of shitty food but I didn't do anything. Whenever I got to high school and joined football, I ate a lot of shit, regardless of what it was.. and I lost 60lbs during the first 2 months of football.

People think if they just eat healthy, they'll get skinny.

People think if they work out a lot, they can eat a ton of unhealthy shit.

It's a mix of everything. Like Lauren said, eat healthy, exercise and you're set to go.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Eating healthy has always been on of my biggest issues. I don't eat a lot of junk food, and I do eat healthy a lot of times, but the biggest issue is that I could make an extra effort to eat things that are better for me, and that has more protein. I also have a sweet tooth from time to time, which doesn't help my cause. Then there's beer, but that's another story.