• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why doesn't UFC go 1 on 1 against WWE on Pay Per View night?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Why doesn't Dana White attempt building a great card and face Vince McMahon ratings wise on a Pay Per view event?

Amuna1225

Re: Why doesn't UFC go 1 on 1 against WWE on Pay Per View ni

Because he knows he can't compete, that's why.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.

I know they lost two if their biggest names in St Pierre and Silva, but let's say they weren't hurt and they faced off in the Main Event...don't you think that match alone would make them compete?

BJBirdy

Registered Member

Amuna1225 said:
Because he knows he can't compete, that's why.
Let's compare buyrates, shall we...

UFC
UFC 167: 625,000
UFC 166: 330,000
UFC 165: 325,000
UFC 164: 270,000
UFC 163: 170,000
UFC 162: 550,000
UFC 161: 150,000
UFC 160: 380,000
UFC 159: 550,000
UFC 158: 950,000
UFC 157: 400,000
UFC 156: 330,000

WWE
Survivor Series: 179,000
Hell In A Cell: 200,000
Battleground: 150,000
Night Of Champions: 175,000
SummerSlam: 298,000
Money In The Bank: 192,000
Payback: 186,000
Extreme Rules: 231,000
WrestleMania 29: 1,200,000
Elimination Chamber: 221,000
Royal Rumble: 498,000

I'd hardly say that the UFC wouldn't be able to compete, nor would I say that the WWE would hardly be able to compete.

I also don't think that there's as much crossover between the fanbases as the public/media thinks there is. Sure, there is some, but for the most part they seem to have two distinct fanbases.

I just think there'd be nothing to gain for Dana White & the UFC to try competing against WWE on the same night. Simply because we're talking about 2 different fanbases. And I also think there's some sort of mutual respect between Dana White and Vince McMahon, even if they try to deny it sometimes. Dana said on many occasions that he has a tremendous amount of respect for Vince.

BJBirdy

Registered Member

EdgeHead said:
I just think there'd be nothing to gain for Dana White & the UFC to try competing against WWE on the same night. Simply because we're talking about 2 different fanbases. And I also think there's some sort of mutual respect between Dana White and Vince McMahon, even if they try to deny it sometimes. Dana said on many occasions that he has a tremendous amount of respect for Vince.
This too. If there's any sort of disrespect at all, I think it'd be from Vince McMahon toward Dana White (I'm not trying to imply there's any at all, I'm just saying that since I've never heard McMahon praise White like I've heard White praise McMahon). According to White, McMahon challenged him to fight either at a UFC event or at a WWE event. White just said "Vince, you're 67 years old...you shouldn't be fighting anyone" and that was the end of that.

The closest we ever got to something like the UFC and the WWE going head to head was in March 2010 when the UFC held UFC 111: St-Pierre vs. Hardy the night before WrestleMania 26. UFC 111 did 770,000 buys while WrestleMania 26 did 885,000.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member

Dickey's Flow said:
Why doesn't Dana White attempt building a great card and face Vince McMahon ratings wise on a Pay Per view event?
It would divide the audience, while I admit that not all who watch wrestling watch MMA and vice versa, it would force fans to choose which one to buy and watch, that is if they could only afford to order 1 show.

BJBirdy

Registered Member

I thought this article was relevant to this thread:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/10/52 ... fight-pass

In my opinion, the author makes some valid points.

As some of you guys know, I study I/O psychology at grad school, and one of the aspects of that is looking at new innovative ways of doing business and integrating change in the workplace. I really have to hand it to the WWE for being innovative here. Even if it doesn't work, they're a large enough and recognizable enough company that failing in this venture shouldn't hurt them a whole lot if it ever didn't work out (by "a whole lot" I mean it's not going to cause the company to go under). But I think this venture is going to work out very well for them.

James Borbath

I wrote a topic in Wrestling section on PPV dying out which speaks a little to this topic...But there are a couple reason why this doesn't happen . One the WWE actually helped the UFC (Pre-Zuffa) when they were struggling to survive by promoting it on Raw. So I think UFC has always appreciated the WWE for that. If not for WWE UFC would never have made as much off of Brock as they did. In addition I think both companies while they deny it constantly understand that there is a tremendous and growing number of crossover fans that enjoy both products or at least are considered fans of both. Forcing them to choose could backfire on the company that decided to book on the same night. That in all likelyhood would be the UFC based on their booking of events being in a shorter window than the WWE. In addition the UFC has a higher likelyhood of losing a main draw do to injury and could not cover that up as well as Pro Wrestling could.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member

James Borbath said:
I wrote a topic in Wrestling section on PPV dying out which speaks a little to this topic...But there are a couple reason why this doesn't happen . One the WWE actually helped the UFC (Pre-Zuffa) when they were struggling to survive by promoting it on Raw. So I think UFC has always appreciated the WWE for that. If not for WWE UFC would never have made as much off of Brock as they did. In addition I think both companies while they deny it constantly understand that there is a tremendous and growing number of crossover fans that enjoy both products or at least are considered fans of both. Forcing them to choose could backfire on the company that decided to book on the same night. That in all likelyhood would be the UFC based on their booking of events being in a shorter window than the WWE. In addition the UFC has a higher likelyhood of losing a main draw do to injury and could not cover that up as well as Pro Wrestling could.
Sums it up perfectly, the fans who watch both do offer a big voice for why this shouldn't happen