Why does Religion have such a huge impact on gay marriage?

AttackTheSource

Registered Member
I can understand that some religions are against it, Christianity in particular, however, why in some countries (Australia included) does that terrible opposition to it, that is really only found in religions such as Christianity, have such a terrible impact on whether or not gay marriage is legalized?

One religion shouldn't rule a country's laws. So why does it?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well you would hope a theocracy wouldn't occur (government run by religion) but it seems that many nations (the US included) contain lots of people that seem to think that because their founders believed (apparently) or because a lot of people believe that the rest of us should be forced to as well. The obvious problem, especially with Christianity, is when you get the types that quote the one line from Leviticus lamenting a man laying with a man as if laying with a woman they're just cherry picking bits and pieces out of the bible they want to follow. I mean, if you really want to follow the bible, you'd be surprised at all the shit that you'd have to change. First off, women aren't allowed to speak. It's a single line in an off section (translation: I'll get a link, just give me a moment to find one because I know I've read that) but if we're going to pick and choose, why not?

This is the problem. Theists pick and choose what they want to believe or follow which obviously makes them quite bad at their faith. You either believe or you don't. There is no logical reason against gay marriage. Almost all those that oppose it are at the core, god-fearing folk who believe the sanctity of marriage is going to be ruined (which is fucking hilarious by the way, marriage is given away as a prize on some reality shows).

It's all insecurity. People against gay marriage tend to be the types that think gay people are hitting on them just by speaking. They get offended at the slightest hint of conversation with a member of the same sex who is gay.

AttackTheSource

Registered Member
This is true. I would also like to point out that (to my knowledge) only monotheistic religions are opposed to gay marriage. Last I checked, a religion was a choice, and even though a majority (supposedly) follows one religion, that does not mean that the minority should be forced to conform to the same beliefs. Nor should gays have to endure the scurrilous words, comments and remarks that they do.

I also believe that Christians, or anyone who abuses gays for that matter, should not be exculpated from punishment on account of their religion.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Religion is the favorite excuse these days. People want reasons for their bigotry, insecurity and hatred. Religion fits that quite nicely.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I mean, if it's something you grew up with it's not like it's "evil" or anything but when you push it on other people and can't comprehend the concept of people coming from different backgrounds, then you have a problem.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
No, Islam does a pretty good job of that too. I mean, people refuse to actually make fun of them anymore because of how ridiculously violent they tend to get over it. At least Christians aren't as hardcore as they used to be. But it seems like they're reverting to their Crusades days just to keep up.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's easy to pick one religion and hate on it. Big religions are the easiest mainly because of just that: they're big. If you take some courses on religion or just spend an afternoon in a library reading up on world religions, you'll know that a lot of religions have been pushed throughout the ages. We're in such a magnificent age of information that religion becomes a whole new creature altogether.