Xbox Brand Why does Halo 3 have a cult following?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I mean, it's almost 2 years old by now and there are plenty of other games that have come out since. Many games in the FPS genre have come out that are arguably more advanced.

Do you feel Halo 3 will continue to be popular or will people get sick of it after a while? It seems like the people who are still playing it probably won't get bored anytime soon. I mean they've been playing for just under 2 years, why stop now?

I used to be a huge fan of Halo 1 but after a while I got bored of it and moved onto newer games. Games usually remain popular for several years and Halo 3 is by no means outdated just yet but it seems like Halo 3 players rarely are on the hunt for new games to try out. Is this because they aren't bored with Halo 3 yet or is it because they don't think they will like any other games?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Dude, it's not a cult following. 500,000 people playing online is not cult. Everquest has a cult following these days. Command and Conquer: Renegade has a cult following.

It's the flagship franchise. Why are so many people still playing the last Legend of Zelda game, or Final Fantasy XII?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, I consider it a cult following for the fact that plenty of newer games have come out since then and yet it's still amazingly popular. There is nothing derogatory meant by my definition of "cult following". I am simply wondering why so many people haven't moved on to other games yet.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
But newer doesn't mean better, and it's not really all that old: would you consider World of Warcraft 'cult' because it's a few years old now?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its just the way it is with certain games. For me personally I like playing games I am more familiar with and ones I have enjoyed for a long time. Maybe these halo players just love it so much and have no reason to try anything else. I dont know cuz I dont play halo.

HappyFace

Registered Member
Just because a game is less advanced does not mean it's worse. I still pull out the NES and play Super Mario from time to time because of how awesome it is to play. Mario Kart 64 will always reign supreme in my mind. It's just people find it fun to play, although lots and lots of people take it waaaay to seriously especially online.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Halo 3 is hands down one of the most overrated games of all time. It did nothing new and gained popularity not on it's own merits, but through the Xbox Live service. Live is what made it so popular and doable but the game itself is just mediocre. I still prefer the Unreal series as it's a hell of a lot more fun and more customizable.

Halo 3 is an average game hyped to seem amazing.

HappyFace

Registered Member
Halo 3 has got a great multiplayer atmosphere but as for the storyline and such it's pretty much just the repackaged storyline from the other two games.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Halo 3 isn't even that great in terms of multiplayer. It's not new by far or even exciting. Halo 3 is driven by it's fans, not by it's own gameplay and potential. It's all those screaming thirty year-olds and cussing children that make the game so funny and fun to play. The gameplay is smooth, but nothing else.