• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why Does America Have So Many Fatal Traffic Accidents?

Godsmirror

Registered Member
Here are a few reasons: U.S. has the highest road death rate - CNN

But I remember reading something the other day (I really wish I could find it) that pointed out something very interesting. To me at least. They said that there are many parts of Germany's Autobahn that don't have any speed limits at all. It is not uncommon to see cars going well over 150 mph. Which I already knew by being in Germany during a part of the '90's. Yet they have drastically fewer road fatalities than the U.S. where there are speed limits everywhere. So what gives?

Training. Believe it or not, all German drivers, commercial or not, go through extensive driver training before they are issued a licence. They don't see driving as a right, but rather as a privilege and that mindset, along with the training, seems to make for much better drivers. Better to the point where they don't need speed limits. People "limit" themselves.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think our biggest problem is distracted driving because the driver is using a cell phone.

Impaired

Registered Member
#1 problem. Idiots. They don't know how to merge. They don't signal. They use their cell phones. They go slow in the passing lane. I looked up stats and teen drivers are not the problem I thought they were.

1/2 the accidents are 25-45 year olds.

KEEP RIGHT, PASS LEFT. MERGE AT THE SPEED OF TRAFFIC. PUT DOWN THE PHONE.

This would result in a massive drop in accidents.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
#1 problem. Idiots. They don't know how to merge. They don't signal. They use their cell phones. They go slow in the passing lane. I looked up stats and teen drivers are not the problem I thought they were.

1/2 the accidents are 25-45 year olds.

KEEP RIGHT, PASS LEFT. MERGE AT THE SPEED OF TRAFFIC. PUT DOWN THE PHONE.

This would result in a massive drop in accidents.
Yes, I agree with all of this! I have spent large chunks of my life communting in the New York metro area. The things I have seen on my morning/evening commutes would truly frighten you! I remember one morning a man was driving along at 70 mph with a newspaper open on his steering wheel! I've seen women applying mascara. It's crazy.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
As an American, I've never been in a fatal accident while I'm driving my vehicle, in part, because I wouldn't dare text and drive or drink and drive.