• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why do wrestlers "go off the rail"?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Reading the CM Punk thread now got me thinking about so many Wrestlers who have gone off the rails be it with alcohol, drugs etc and wonder what can be done if anything.

Things are very different now too twenty years ago, I am not sure of all of it but I am sure that working was different, with TV came more shows etc. Obviously the WWE now had the wellness policy but this seems to me to cover the WWE more than the wrestlers. Do you think anything can be done? Do you think most wrestlers are in a position where they can go to Vince or JR and say "I have worked none stop and I need a break" or do you think it is more of a case of "if I speak up I will lose my spot"?

I am not sure what if anything can be done but I do wonder how much support there is.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think a lot of mid-carders won't go to Vince and ask Vince for a break since they don't want to lose there spot and keep climbing the ladder to the top so to speak.

But when it comes to big time stars like Chris Jericho, who's done it all in his career, then those guys will go to Vince if they do need a break, and it seems that Vince is pretty understanding in that aspect. These guys wrestle close to three hundred days a year, that's incredible. It takes a toll on your body, and some times your body just says "that's enough". A lot of wrestlers will take pain killers, and that eventually leads to an addiction, and unfortunately some wrestlers have died because of those addictions. It's a tough business, and I'm not surprised that some wrestlers have gone off the rail as you put it.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I think a lot of mid-carders won't go to Vince and ask Vince for a break since they don't want to lose there spot and keep climbing the ladder to the top so to speak.

But when it comes to big time stars like Chris Jericho, who's done it all in his career, then those guys will go to Vince if they do need a break, and it seems that Vince is pretty understanding in that aspect. These guys wrestle close to three hundred days a year, that's incredible. It takes a toll on your body, and some times your body just says "that's enough". A lot of wrestlers will take pain killers, and that eventually leads to an addiction, and unfortunately some wrestlers have died because of those addictions. It's a tough business, and I'm not surprised that some wrestlers have gone off the rail as you put it.
Agreed. Breaks are needed, and sometimes promoters don't notice that fact and push wrestlers to the brink. Jericho did the right thing.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I think possibly even more so than wrestlers getting banged up, the main reason for a lot of wrestlers going off the rails could also be the travel schedule. A lot of wrestles who developed serious drug or alcohol problems, their problems started when they were touring with WWE or WCW.

I heard a wrestler talking about it before, i can't remember who, that when you're on the road almost 365 days a year you can either sit in your hotel room all night or go out and party, and well it can get awful lonely if you spend all your time sitting in your hotel room. Then, besides the drink and drug problems that can develop from being out every night, you start needing sleeping pills to get some shut eye the night before a show. Then you need uppers to make you alert in the morning. Especially when mixed with the painkillers it can become a very vicious cycle.