Why do we Kill?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by StroShow, Jun 25, 2008.

1. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

A question I always ponder, the question ranges from why do humans kill other humans, we always make the distinction between us and animals and how different we are, yet we still kill each other, why do we this ranges from serial killers to soldiers killing for their country; why?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Why do we kill? A book could be written on why do we kill and I bet dozens have. For that matter, why is it bad to kill? Can't killing be positive at times? Who decides when killing is justified, wrong, or meaningful?

3. Masquerade

Masquerade Registered Member

I think that eventhough we may be more intellegent from other animals, we still have the urge to dominate and be the strong, deep inside. well, it is a fact that most people don't kill, we overcame the urge.

4. Cheomesh

Cheomesh Registered Member

Part of the nature that makes us human. I think the "default" human kills more easily for a cause in their interest than simple killing for killing sake. But this is a philosophical question so everyone is wrong.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I think it's basically because we want things. Can't get it? Kill the person who has it...

Nowadays we can come to agreements, trades, loans, etc. for the most part so we don't have to necessarily kill to get what we want.

as for who decides when killing is good/bad/meaningful....the people with power decide that. It can be social, political, religious, or any other kind of power.

6. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Killing is just another (I think one of the most primitive yes "simplest) ways to solve conflict.

Solving conflict however in the middle ages is dramatically different than now. Society views killing as a "last resort". Where as it seemed in ancient times it was one of the "firsts".

However, even though civilians seems to view killing as a last resort it is grossly apparent that governments and most social institutions use this method just as much as we did in the past.

7. KiethBlackLion

KiethBlackLion Registered Member

We are different from animals, but frankly I put animals on a slighter higher level then us. Animals kill out of necessity. They kill for food, for eliminating the weaker of the species so only the strong survive.

Humans on the other hand, chose to kill more than merely out of necessity. We kill out of anger and hatred, and we kill out of the sheer pleasure of having control over the life of someone/something.

Excluding self defense and preservation, I too have often wondered what drives people to kill other things.

8. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I've always had an internal debate about this. I don't know if it's a primitive side of man that comes out in a global, brutal scale that evolution of body, mind and spirit will eventually solve...or is it manifestation of evil? Is killing a natural check on overpopulation and competition for resources? Is it sometimes severe mental illness gone overboard? A lot of aspects to be considered.

9. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

To a large degree, our immediate emotional responses to certain situations are simply rather violent, owing to our roots as kill-or-be-killed pack hunters. When losing or gaining dominance of a given territory could mean the thriving or death of an entire family, it makes evolutionary sense that your more violent types might thrive. That's not really how things are anymore, so a lot of our vestigial tendencies just seem absurd these days.

10. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Animals killings are totally instinctual but humans are different.

Humans try to assert themselves the best they can to accomplish certain things and when other people get in their way... sometimes we decide to take the easy way and just out the person in their way. Also theres that whole anger thing that soaks the back of our mind playing devilish tricks on our reasoning skills.