Why do we believe in god (aside from upbringing, for those of you who do)

Nobartholem

Registered Member
Before we start this, I'm just going to go right off the bat and say I am not Athiest. It isn't pertinent to this discussion, and personally I don't have any preference what religon you are, because most of the un-athiest people here to believe in a god.

Why do we (mono-theistic religion followers) believe in god. Besides the fact that we were probably brought up that way.

Have you ever just sat and thought, is there god. Why didn't god show himself. Why doesn't he? If he can't, why can't he? Can he give us a sign that he is here?

The bible says he exists. The bible says that we are fools

"You fools!" (Jesus) Luke 11:40

The bible was written by people, not by god. Whether god commanded them to write it or not, nobody will know, because anyone can claim god is talking to them.

Oh what god? Oh, you are real....ok....

I'm seriously thinking about becoming an athiest. I blindly belived everything in the bible. I guess I'm agnostic at this point, but I don't really know.

Why do you believe in god.

If you don't why don't you.

And leave out the annoying paradoxes "Can god create a rock he cannot control?"

Nobody has the answer to that. Definite real debates please.

Danno

Registered Member
I have but one question.

I God created Adam and Eve straight away after creating the rest of the Universe, and Adam and Eve started the human race (which would have made Adam some kind of sex god with super powered sperm), at which point did Dinosaurs roam the earth?

We have scientific proof of Dinosaurs, but nothing to prove that god exists.

Nobartholem

Registered Member
This isn't a thread to convert me. But actually, i'm pretty well versed in the bible, and it says that god can make things older than they appear. But then again, god can do everything, so why bring this up.

There is also scientific proof that certain chemical reactions in our pre-historic atmosphere may have caused cells and DNA strands to form. I'd have to brush up on this, but it is a whole big debate in the scientific community.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I came to grips with religion simply for the fact that there are so many other differing religions and beliefs.

The Bible was written by men "inspired" by God. I have serious doubts about this. I think a strict literal interpretation of the Bible is...well obsolete. There is overwhelming scientific evidence against the creation stories. Even when being raised I never saw the Bible as historically accurate, nor should was I taught that is should be interpreted literally (interpretation is important).

There are only a few non-biblical accounts concerning Jesus by non-believers (scribes, or scholars). So I have doubts concerning his historical existence.

I don't know if I necessarily believe in a God or not. But I don't believe Jesus is a savior for mankind. I see the Bible as a guide towards living one's life. Each religion presents a different interpretation and guide.

I find it really arrogant, and quite frankly, hypocritical of how many Christians show (or demonstrate) a lack of acceptance of different religions or beliefs that differ from their own. Even though the religion preaches not to judge others, Christians constantly pass judgment on their fellow humans. I would think only God or Jesus are the only ones who can pass judgment. Christians don't have the right to pass judgment or condemnation on humans for being gay, committing "sins", or for believing in a different deity. They separate the condemned and believers so simply. I think religion is too complicated to be separated in such black and white terms. Christianity isn't the only religion that does this, I believe this trait is a Christian and Islamic trait. The Jewish faith doesn't necessarily categorize people as readily I feel.

So as of now I am an agnostic and I am completely alienated from Christianity being raised a Catholic.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Everything around me, and my way of life, points to the existence of God.
I have questioned this in the past and came to the conclusion that God is everywhere, in everything: In the grains of sand, little tiny insects, one cell organisms, and of course the bigger things on this planet, basically everything.

Nobartholem

Registered Member
Everything around me, and my way of life, points to the existence of God.
I have questioned this in the past and came to the conclusion that God is everywhere, in everything: In the grains of sand, little tiny insects, one cell organisms, and of course the bigger things on this planet, basically everything.

how do you know that god is here for sure. How do we know that he is there?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
As I've already said before, God doesn't have to have a religious meaning.
[for more you can check out this thread http://www.generalforum.com/religion/god-religion-69459.html

I just think we didn't come into existence ....so suddenly. That's why there's a reason to believe in something that is stronger than us ...and this is not meant religiously. I don't care about religions that much .. I just think there's a force that created us ..
You can call it whatever you want .... not necessarily 'God' because this word has gotten a religious meaning.[maybe unfairly]

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
how do you know that god is here for sure. How do we know that he is there?
I'll try and put it into words, but I can't promise it will sound coherent :lol:

Whatever makes the world go round, plants grow, things die is what we call nature. Science explains how nature works, but whatever put nature into motion could only be a creator.
Look at humans for example, have you heard of the divine proportion? Everything in this universe is based on the proportion of 1 to 1.618. Humans, birds, animals, sea shells...
I cannot see how anything else would have made this world so exact in this proportion if it wasn't for a creator.

Nobartholem

Registered Member
why things were made this way may also be science. How come see turtles always know where to mate every year, even though they have been there.