• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why do so many people hate the "emo" genre?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Its not so much the music. There is some talented emo musicians.

Its the whole crowd that follows it. I just don't understand how anyone can glorify sadness. All these kids running around thinking they're so cool for being sad. Half the time, their reasons for being sad are pathetic. I just can't stand people who don't at least try to be happy.

Zappa

Registered Member
Not judging you guitarguy, or any other emo fans here...

But to answer you question, the genre as a whole seems really self-indulgent to me. I view sadness and depression in general as a going inside of yourself and wallowing. There's nothing wrong with doing that, it's natural to when you're sad. But to purposely wallow and listen to music for assistance with it seems really selfish to me.

By the way, my take is not based on having hung out with anyone who classifies themselves as part of the "emo" crowd, and I've only listened to a small selection of their music. So I could be really wrong about the nature of emo music and the crowd. This is just my limited interpretation of it.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I very much enjoy emo rap.
I didn't know 'emo rap' existed, but then again you could fill the Staples Center with what I don't know :nod:

Anyways, I personally don't have problem with the emo genre. In fact, I love My Chemical Romance's "Helena." Any type of music is a form of art, but like Smel said, its the people who follow the subculture. They glorify sadness, suicide and self mutilation, which is honestly just disturbing. Everyone has ups and downs in life, and at the end of the day, you just cut your losses and keep moving on; there's really no point in crying about it and trying to kill or cut yourself. I know this untrue in most cases, but I'm just trying to give an example for my reasons. ;)

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
In fact, I love My Chemical Romance's "Helena."
I freaking love that song. Original MCR were awesome. I'm Not Okay was also really good.

Anyway, I'm more into heavy metal and hard rock than 'emo' but I've heard some good screamo songs that I liked. It's the passion thats put into the music that appeals to me.

Shwa

V.I.P.
The genre seems like another excuse for people to scream, b!tch and moan about thier lives to draw the attention of others who only look towards the dark/depressing side of things. Music is suppose to be enjoyable, not ear splitting.

~Shwa

SithZombree

Registered Member
The Emo/Screamo music itself isn't too bad. It's the scene kids that come with it that I do not like. It seems like they just do it for the fashion.

Vixen

Registered Member
Because thier music is simply depressing. They all sound the same. Same wailing noise giving music a bad name.

As for the 'dress' code of emo's, it's full of fail, skinny jeans below your arse, wtf?
Jeans were created to cover your ass.

Noone wants to see what kind of boxers you have on. I'm glad they hid thier face with thier hair though, because they usually tend to be ugly.
edit:

Come to think of it, I hate scenes more. Or scemo's.
Both party's DESTROYED Glasgow city center's rock clubs. Metalheads etc used to go there and it rocked, now all emo's and scemo's run the place and they are all getting off with each other, writing fuck me on thier chest (no seriously) and pull me on thier forehead.

And playing the godawful music. What happend to Meat loaf and Metallica, Iron Maiden, Faith no more, Black sabbath, all the legends man :O

Last edited:

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Because thier music is simply depressing. They all sound the same. Same wailing noise giving music a bad name.

As for the 'dress' code of emo's, it's full of fail, skinny jeans below your arse, wtf?
Jeans were created to cover your ass.
That's a Chav/Emo hybrid, i call them Chemo's; i don't wear my trousers around my ass, i don't even wear the skinny jeans.

The music i find soothing though, especially if i've ever had a bad day, and it kept me calmer when i was stuck at the unemployment centre.

But to each his own; some like it, some don't.