Why do so many people hate the "emo" genre?

Discussion in 'Music' started by guitarguy14, Aug 3, 2010.

1. guitarguy14

guitarguy14 Registered Member

I dont understand why so many people hate them. in this thread, explain why you do if you do.
    I love screamo/emo music, but i also love most genres of music so who cares? Its a free world and we can listen to whatever we like.

2. rainbow5555

rainbow5555 Registered Member

I don't like the emo genre because The music is not brutal enough and screamo just sounds like a giraffe being strangled. Also alot of scenesters seem to listen to emo music, and so because alot of people dislike scenesters they also dislike emo music. I think people dislike the popularised emo culture more than the music.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I generally can't stand Emo but I was partial to My Chemical Romance's album "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge".

Generally I find that Emo songs are very depressing, complaining and negative. I prefer positive or neutral music over downright downer music.

4. guitarguy14

but people dont understand that the emo culture is about music, and "standing out". i know screamo sounds weird to some people but thats just a way to get more emotion out in there songs.

5. guitarguy14

i understand youre opinion.
    i dont only like downer music, i listen to alot of genres, such as alternative rock and metal, and some others. and infact, screamo is not only about complaining, etc stuff you said. Some songs are about partying and having fun (Adept) but why they scream in them i will never know haha, i dont know i just like the way it sounds.

6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I'm just replying here cause I'm one who really does not like emo/screamo music. I don't have anything constructive to add though, but it might help to mention that I also can't stand any bands that shout or scream instead of sing. I know there's supposed to be a lot of emotion in it but it really just sounds like noise to me. I prefer emotion through lyrics and when you can really hear the singer feeling his or her song.

I do, however, agree that you're free to like whatever music you want. It would be daft to think otherwise.

7. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I went through a phase in college when I pretty much only listened to "loud" music...screaming and all that. Eventually it went to a mix of yelling and singing...

Now days...I listen to both. A good scream here and there can add a ton to a song and make it more powerful. So I dont blame ya for liking it. People think its easy to scream lyrics...its not, its as hard as singing them alot of the time.

Just keep liking what you like...nothing wrong with that.

8. guitarguy14

ha yeah exactly.
    most people think its so easy to scream and an easy way to make money but its really hard.
    im joining a heavy alternative band.. something like linkin park, breaking benjamin, papa roach, etc, and screaming takes alot of practice

9. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

I guess emo is more teenage angst to me than real emotion. A sense of undirected, general negativity that comes with being a teen, but exploited to such a degree that it becomes phoney.
    The big emphasis on looks & clothes and stuff doesn't really speak for upright feelings either. Real sadness is experienced alone and doesn't involve social conventions. That's how I personally feel about it.

But yeah, to each his own.

I myself love Trist, that's how 'emo' should sound :D
    [youtube]Qnq7JaC0zmU[/youtube]

10. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

Funny thing is I do listen to a lot of music with dark themes but do not like emo. I like death metal, some darkwave, and even gothic bands. The difference is modern emo is to whinny for me. The other genres while dark or melancholy often embrace a dark idea, are based on horror, or use some other dark theme in their creativity. Emo, from my perspective is too depressing. It takes the fun out of having a dark theme.