• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why do people give China a hard time?

sirleo09

Registered Member
Recently I've been "surfin' the web" looking around at some random websites and videos, and I've realised that there has been a lot of hate going around towards China and some other Asian countries. Many of them are not true, as I have personally been to China and have first hand knowledge of what goes around there. Why do people have a general dislike to China and why do people associate China with bad stuff?
Personally I reckon that China's doing quite well, being second in the economy rank just below the US. The product that are made are actually quite useful and don't break within what people claim of 30 seconds, unless you've bought something from a really crap black market. The people there are not gay. Many of them don't have extremely small eyes. Although some have a slight accent when speaking English, it's their second language. Try learning Chinese when your first language is English, or such. It's actually quite difficult.

So all I'm saying is, why do people give China a hard time and what is your opinion?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think in the case of China, a large part of it is they've made huge improvements in a very short time - and a lot of people remember how China used to be recently.

sirleo09

Registered Member
I think in the case of China, a large part of it is they've made huge improvements in a very short time - and a lot of people remember how China used to be recently.
So are you saying that people only remember what China used to be like? 'Cause I think that's quite true. Lots of people still refer to China a few hundred years back, not what they are now.

Diederick

Registered Member
The people there are not gay.
Excuse me? What are you insinuating here?
So all I'm saying is, why do people give China a hard time and what is your opinion?
People are jealous of China, because China outsmarted many countries with their incredible production capacity. I think they make about 25% of everything we buy that is not for consumption. And perhaps half of all that is made of plastic. MADE IN CHINA is on everything these days... Heck, I am jealous of China. I can't take it that a backward country like that gets to be the best economy in the world. Or close to it. I feel like they don't deserve it.

Another part may be the threat China poses, both in military and economic sense. China is damn powerful, and with their crazy politics who knows what they're up to next?

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
China has made incredible leaps in economic growth and industrialization within recent history. There's no denying that.

However, the problem I have is that the mental state of the general population is still far behind. Many are still concerned with making money and making a comfortable living. Courtesy, environmental awareness, public good, common manners, respect, etc. are not yet important in their lives. They are more concerned with themselves and their own good. It makes many Chinese look bad, when in fact, they have just not "caught up" yet.

A few summers ago, I went to Shanghai, supposedly the most modern and Westernized city in China, and I saw groups of businessman eating lunch with their mistresses. Many of the taxi cab drivers we talked to admitted that only parts of Shanghai are borderline tolerable in terms of manners and common courtesy for Westerners. They spice up the commonly visited areas. Outside the city and in less visited areas in the city, things are far less developed.

The main roads were all cleaned, but the places where people lived still had open ditches. People still hung their underwear and whatnot outside their windows. People still spat on the street. Traffic lights were not always followed.

The air was pretty bad, and they've supposedly made progress in that area too. Even in the luxury high-rise apartment my cousin lived in, the floorboards were crooked. The most basic of things in a home, the floorboards, can't even be made right. Sure, they can afford HD TVs and other technologies, but the little things are ignored.

Point is, the good things you see are sadly, almost always an act. The general population is way behind in Western standards. They may have made progress growth-wise, but mentally, they're quite behind. The only way to change is to give it time.

Bananas

Endangered Species

• Single party Communist states who actively oppress political opposition are not usually the most welcome on the world stage.
  • Human rights record are questionable.
  • Occupation of Tibet & relationship with Taiwan.
  • Corporate corruption.
  • Vast disparity between the bourgeois and the working classes.