• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Why Do People Believe the Earth is Flat?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've recently become aware of a growing group of people who believe that the ultimate wool has been pulled over all of our eyes and that the earth is not actually a spinning globe, but completely flat. This is not a joke, but an actual belief that some people hold. Some of their reasons for their belief are intriguing, to say the least. Despite the overwhelming belief that the world is in fact, a sphere, flat-earthers are growing in number and are holding fast to their beliefs, convinced that a massive conspiracy is in play against all of humanity.

Here's a neutral video that explains the flat earth theory without bias:

Here's a longer documentary on the subject:

And before you ask, no, the flat earth map is not the same as the flat rectangular map we are used to. Flat-earthers believe Antarctica is actually the outer rim of the flat earth, and that the International Antarctic Treaty, which was signed in 1957, is in place to prevent commoners from getting access to the unrestricted exploration of Antarctica and the "outer rim." Here's a picture of one of the more accepted earth map among flat-earthers.

Map.png

There are a TON of videos on YouTube arguing both sides of the Flat Earth Debate. Regardless of what you believe, it's pretty interesting to see how far some people take these arguments. Just about every question that "globe-earthers" would have for flat-earthers does have an attempted answer, but that doesn't mean they would win in a formal debate.

So, have you ever heard of the flat earth concept? Have you ever considered it?

For the record, my worldview on this issue is "well-rounded." :cool:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
EVERY flat Earth concept is nonsense.
NOTHING is built on testable theories.
ALL of it is wild speculation.

And every conversation ALWAYS end with the flat Earth nutbag freaking out at you about the government being a tribe of lizard people or some other pea-brained attempt to paint you as some sort of 'sheep' who isn't able to grasp the clear and totally obvious truth.

Bruh.

Along with anti-vaxxers, Flat Earth theory is solid proof of how doomed humanity is.

Let's play a fun game! It's called "debunk Flat Earth theory in 5 seconds!" Ready? Go!

Airplanes. We've been to space. Paint is not food. Pick one.

BUT BUT BUT NASA IS A SOOPER OBVEEOUS SCAM RUN BY THE GUBBAMINT DESIGNED TO TRICK THE PEOPLE INTO THINKING WE DON'T LIVE IN A SNOWGLOBE

I will never give anyone the time of day to ramble on about such a blatantly stupid and painfully idiotic topic like Flat Earth theory. If massive shit dumps like Facebook and Twitter didn't exist, whatever paint-huffing lunatic came up with these ideas mid-acid trip would have not had any luck spreading this mental disease.

Arguing about a possible Flat Earth is like arguing if water is wet. We do not need to test anything. We know it's a sphere.

Not to mention, just think about it. What happens if suddenly, every agrees Earth is flat? Aside from what I can only hope is a massive world-ending super virus that drives humanity to extinction, what the fuck happens? How does your life change?

PROTIP: It does not. So what's with the religious fervor surrounding flat Earth whackjobs?

I wish Americans cared half as much about the homeless and starving population as they cared about this batshit fucking crazy theory.

Here's hoping they all get sterilized.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Simple, people believe the Earth is flat because they have flat heads.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's funny that you mention the religious aspect of it, @Merc. There are plenty of religious people who are 100% behind the earth being a spinning globe, so I don't see why religion has to be on the table at all. It would be one thing if major religious text blatantly said "the earth is flat," but as far as I know, none do. There are some context issues with phrases like "the ends of the earth" (so obviously the earth must have ends!) or the "four corners of the earth" but that is easily passed off as literary style. No major society in history has believed that the earth has four corners.

I'd agree with everything that you said except for the statement "EVERY flat earth concept is nonsense." I'd say that every flat earth concept can be perfectly explained on a spinning globe, but I'd at least give them things like compasses still pointing to the North Pole in theory IF the center of their flat earth map functioned the same as our real-life North Pole (which they do claim as an assumption), but you'll notice I did give them a very big IF there. The reality is, a lot of science that we know to be true today would change in a flat earth model. There are actually some interesting (and highly creative) theories for how things could still work, but interesting doesn't mean true. Pandora in Avatar had some really creative made up science as well that made sense in theory. That doesn't mean it could work in reality.

I have yet to see any flat-earther explain how the sun can dip below the horizon in their model, for example. It's by far the most obvious proof against a flat earth, second in my opinion to things like day and night on a rotating sphere, eclipses, etc. Let's face it, there is a reason pretty much every real scientist from every background and walk of life is on the same page on this one.

Impaired

Registered Member
People believe the earth is flat because they are idiots.

Trump's science advisor, for example, talks about the 'alleged moon landings' because he seems not to believe we have been there.

Because he is an idiot.

Impaired

Registered Member
Worse, he really is a smart guy. Shame he doesn't believe the easily available evidence.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It is amazing. Anyone remember the basketball star a few years ago that started talking about this during an interview?

It's a weird line right? We should question the scientific "consensus". Regardless of what you or the consensus states, it's good to question climate change, origins of life, effects of prescription drugs and a million other things. But where does I'm questioning end and I'm nuts begin? Maybe when you can no longer discern what is fact and what isn't?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's funny that you mention the religious aspect of it, @Merc. There are plenty of religious people who are 100% behind the earth being a spinning globe, so I don't see why religion has to be on the table at all. It would be one thing if major religious text blatantly said "the earth is flat," but as far as I know, none do. There are some context issues with phrases like "the ends of the earth" (so obviously the earth must have ends!) or the "four corners of the earth" but that is easily passed off as literary style. No major society in history has believed that the earth has four corners.
Never once did I mention religion. I think you've confused "religious fervor" for "lul religion".

Not the same thing.

I'd agree with everything that you said except for....
Nothing. You should give them nothing. This is not the scientific process. This is not Galileo being executed, these are doped up morons who believe everything they hear.

I have yet to see any flat-earther explain how the sun can dip below the horizon in their model, for example. It's by far the most obvious proof against a flat earth, second in my opinion to things like day and night on a rotating sphere, eclipses, etc. Let's face it, there is a reason pretty much every real scientist from every background and walk of life is on the same page on this one.
Which is why it's a pointless non-issue. Flat Earthers always seem to be people that cannot accept that maybe we actually know something is a fact. Nope. It's a conspiracy. Why? I DUNNO MAN GOOGLE IT, THE RESEARCH IS OUT THERE BRUH.

Flat Earthers are idiots.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nothing. You should give them nothing. This is not the scientific process. This is not Galileo being executed, these are doped up morons who believe everything they hear.
Here's the thing though, and no I don't believe in flat earth, any scientific claim the ends in "theory" is still something that can be disputed and questioned. The theory of gravity, for example. We are pretty sure we know how it works, but pretty sure doesn't make it a fact.

Most of the world (99.99999%) would agree that the shape of the world and the fact that it rotates around the sun are facts. When something that graduates to "fact" status is disputed, it is a conspiracy, not a theory.

Just saying, there are theories about the universe that are debated. Dark matter, black holes, relativity, etc. Just because a flat earther makes an interesting argument about something else along with their flat earth claims shouldn't mean it is automatically wrong. It is not an all or nothing issue For example, they greatly dispute the moon landings took place. Somebody could believe the moon landing was faked and still believe the earth is a globe. However, I have yet to hear a flat earther believe the moon landings took place because they don't believe it is possible to get to the moon in the first place due to other staples in flat earth beliefs.